Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Bobby Tay, MD
Dr. Bobby K-B Tay is based at the Spine Center at UCSF, a collaborative effort with the Department of Neurosurgery. The Spine Center creates a combined service which optimizes treatment of degenerative disorders of the spine, spinal trauma, tumors and infections of the spine.
His clinical interests include degenerative diseases of the cervical and lumbar spine, as well as tumor and fracture work. He has a particularly signficant expertise in minimally invasive surgery of the spine.
After receiving his undergraduate degree from the University of California, Berkeley, Tay earned his medical degree at the UCSF School of Medicine. He completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at UCSF and then completed a fellowship in spinal surgery at the University of Miami Hospital in Florida.
- 2000-Present: Professor of Clinical Orthopaedics, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 1985-1989: BA, Biochemistry, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- 1989-1993: MD, University of California, San Francisco, CA
- 1993-1999: Orthopaedic Surgery Resident, University of California, San Francisco
- 1999-2000: Spine Fellowship, Frank J. Eismont, M.D., Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Miami, Florida
- Kinetic Analysis of the Prodisc-C cervical disk replacement
- Morphologic and Biomechanical Characterization of Calcaneal Grafts for Spinal Applications
- Evaluation of the Mechanisms of Spinal Cord Injury: a Mouse Model
- The Role of Nitrous Oxide in Distraction Osteogenesis
- Virtual Fluoroscopy vs. Conventional C-Arm Guided Sacroiliac Screw Placement; An Evaluation of Radiation Exposure, Surgical Time, and Accuracy in Cadaveric Pelves.
- Gould SE, Rhee JM, Tay BK, Otsuka NY, Bradford DS. (2000). "Cellular contribution of bone graft to fusion." J Orthop Res 18(6): 920-7.
- Tindel NL, Marcillo AE, Tay BK, Bunge RP, Eismont FJ. (2001). "The effect of surgically implanted bullet fragments on the spinal cord in a rabbit model." J Bone Joint Surg Am 83-A(6): 884-90.
- Berven S, Tay BK, Kleinstueck FS, Bradford DS. (2001). "Clinical applications of bone graft substitutes in spine surgery: consideration of mineralized and demineralized preparations and growth factor supplementation." Eur Spine J 10 Suppl 2: S169-77.
- Tay BK, Deckey J, Hu SS. (2002). "Spinal infections." J Am Acad Orthop Surg 10(3): 188-97.
- Tay BK and Berven S. (2002). "Indications, techniques, and complications of lumbar interbody fusion." Semin Neurol 22(2): 221-30.
- Berven S, Tay BK, Colman W, Hu, SS. (2002). "The lumbar zygapophyseal (facet) joints: a role in the pathogenesis of spinal pain syndromes and degenerative spondylolisthesis." Semin Neurol 22(2): 187-96.
- O'Neill, C. W., J. J. Liu, Leibenberg E, Hu SS, Deviren V, Tay BK, Chin CT, Lotz JC. (2004). "Percutaneous plasma decompression alters cytokine expression in injured porcine intervertebral discs." Spine J 4(1): 88-98.
- Puttlitz CM, Rousseau MA, Xu Z, Hu S, Tay BK, Lotz JC. (2004). ?Intervertebral disc replacement maintains cervical spine kinetics.? Spine 29(24): 2809-14
- Chi JH, Ames CP, Tay B (2005) ?General considerations for Cervical Arthroplasty with Technique for Prodisc-C.? Neurosurgery Clinics of North America 16(4): 609-619.
- Murray MT and Tay, BK, ?Natural History of Cervical Myelopathy.? European Spine Journal 2005
- Primary Spinal Tumors, Frank J. Eismont, MD and Bobby Tay, MD?chapter in Principles and Practice of Spine Surgery , Editors: Alexander Vaccaro MD, Randal Betz MD, Seth Zeidman. Saunders, 2002.
- Cervical Fractures and Dislocations, Orthopaedic Knowledge Update Spine 2nd edition, Bobby K-B Tay and Frank J. Eismont, 2002.
- Physical Examination: ASIA Neurologic Examination and Spinal Cord Injury Syndromes, Bobby K-B Tay, MD, Frank J. Eismont MD. Chapter in Fractures of the Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar Spine, Editor: Alexander Vaccaro. Publisher Marcel Dekker. 2003
- Orthopaedics, Current Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment, Edited by Lawrence Way, MD, Lippincott, Williams, Wilkins, 2003.
- Disorders, Diseases, & Injuries of the Spine, in Current Orthopaedic Diagnosis and Treatment, edited by Harry Skinner, MD Ph.D. Authors: Serena S. Hu, MD, Bobby K-B Tay, MD, Clifford B. Tribus, MD, George Carlson, MD. Lippincott, Williams, Wilkins, 2003
- Adult Spinal Deformity, edited by Alexander Vaccaro. Author Bobby Tay MD, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2005
- Traumatic injuries of the Upper Cervical Spine, Chapter in Rothman and Simeone the Spine, Editors Herkowitz, Eismont, 2006
- Osteoinductive Growth Factors and Spinal Fusion: The role of GDF-5: Bobby K-B Tay, MD, Sigurd Berven MD, and David S. Bradford, MD Editor Corbin, Chapter 7C
- Keefe MK, Zygourakis CC, Theologis AA, Canepa E, Shaw JD, Goldman LH, Burch S, Berven S, Chou D, Tay B, Mummaneni P, Deviren V, Ames CP. Sexual function after cervical spine surgery: Independent predictors of functional impairment. J Clin Neurosci. 2016 Nov 4. PubMed
- Cheah J, Zhang AL, Tay B. Intraoperative Use of Neuromonitoring in Multilevel Thoracolumbar Spine Instrumentation and the Effects on Postoperative Neurological Injuries. Clin Spine Surg. 2016 Jul 11. PubMed
- Sing DC, Barry JJ, Aguilar TU, Theologis AA, Patterson JT, Tay BK, Vail TP, Hansen EN. Prior Lumbar Spinal Arthrodesis Increases Risk of Prosthetic-Related Complication in Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Sep; 31(9 Suppl):227-232.e1. PubMed
- Theologis AA, Miller L, Callahan M, Lau D, Zygourakis C, Scheer JK, Burch S, Pekmezci M, Chou D, Tay B, Mummaneni P, Berven S, Deviren V, Ames CP. The Economic Impact of Revision Surgery for Proximal Junctional Failure after Adult Spinal Deformity Surgery: A Cost Analysis of 57 Operations in A 10-Year Experience at a Major Deformity Center. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016 Feb 18. PubMed
- Winkler EA, Rowland NC, Yue JK, Birk H, Ozpinar A, Tay B, Ames CP, Mummaneni PV, El-Sayed IH. A Tunneled Subcricoid Approach for Anterior Cervical Spine Reoperation: Technical and Safety Results. World Neurosurg. 2016 Feb; 86:328-35. PubMed
- Sing DC, Feeley BT, Tay B, Vail TP, Zhang AL. Age-Related Trends in Hip Arthroscopy: A Large Cross-Sectional Analysis. Arthroscopy. 2015 Dec; 31(12):2307-2313.e2. PubMed
- Zhang AL, Theologis AA, Tay B, Feeley BT. The association between cervical spine pathology and rotator cuff dysfunction. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2015 May; 28(4):E206-11. PubMed
- Fujimori T, Le H, Hu SS, Chin C, Pekmezci M, Schairer W, Tay BK, Hamasaki T, Yoshikawa H, Iwasaki M. Ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament of the cervical spine in 3161 patients: a CT-based study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Apr 1; 40(7):E394-403. PubMed
- Theologis AA, Tabaraee E, Funao H, Smith JS, Burch S, Tay B, Kebaish K, Deviren V, Ames C. Three-column osteotomies of the lower cervical and upper thoracic spine: comparison of early outcomes, radiographic parameters, and peri-operative complications in 48 patients. Eur Spine J. 2015 Jan; 24 Suppl 1:S23-30. PubMed
- Schairer WW, Carrer A, Sing DC, Chou D, Mummaneni PV, Hu SS, Berven SH, Burch S, Tay B, Deviren V, Ames C. Hospital readmission rates after surgical treatment of primary and metastatic tumors of the spine. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014 Oct 1; 39(21):1801-8. PubMed
- Tabaraee E, Mummaneni P, Abdul-Jabbar A, Shearer D, Roy E, Amin B, Ames C, Burch S, Deviren V, Berven S, Hu S, Chou D, Tay BK. A Comparison of Implants Used in Open-Door Laminoplasty: Structural Rib Allografts Versus Metallic Mini-Plates. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2014 Jul 29. PubMed
- Fujimori T, Inoue S, Le H, Schairer WW, Berven SH, Tay BK, Deviren V, Burch S, Iwasaki M, Hu SS. Long fusion from sacrum to thoracic spine for adult spinal deformity with sagittal imbalance: upper versus lower thoracic spine as site of upper instrumented vertebra. Neurosurg Focus. 2014 May; 36(5):E9. PubMed
- Abdul-Jabbar A, Berven SH, Hu SS, Chou D, Mummaneni PV, Takemoto S, Ames C, Deviren V, Tay B, Weinstein P, Burch S, Liu C. Surgical site infections in spine surgery: identification of microbiologic and surgical characteristics in 239 cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Oct 15; 38(22):E1425-31. PubMed
- Schairer WW, Carrer A, Deviren V, Hu SS, Takemoto S, Mummaneni P, Chou D, Ames C, Burch S, Tay B, Sawyer A, Berven SH. Hospital readmission after spine fusion for adult spinal deformity. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Sep 1; 38(19):1681-9. PubMed
- Ha Y, Maruo K, Racine L, Schairer WW, Hu SS, Deviren V, Burch S, Tay B, Chou D, Mummaneni PV, Ames CP, Berven SH. Proximal junctional kyphosis and clinical outcomes in adult spinal deformity surgery with fusion from the thoracic spine to the sacrum: a comparison of proximal and distal upper instrumented vertebrae. J Neurosurg Spine. 2013 Sep; 19(3):360-9. PubMed
- Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Trost G, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, Tay B, Coric D, Mummaneni PV. Analysis of the three United States Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption cervical arthroplasty trials. J Neurosurg Spine. 2012 Mar; 16(3):216-28. PubMed
- Kelly MP, Mok JM, Frisch RF, Tay BK. Adjacent segment motion after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion versus Prodisc-c cervical total disk arthroplasty: analysis from a randomized, controlled trial. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011 Jul 1; 36(15):1171-9. PubMed
- Mok JM, Cloyd JM, Bradford DS, Hu SS, Deviren V, Smith JA, Tay B, Berven SH. Reoperation after primary fusion for adult spinal deformity: rate, reason, and timing. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Apr 15; 34(8):832-9. PubMed
- Aryan HE, Newman CB, Lu DC, Hu SS, Tay BK, Bradford DS, Puttlitz CM, Ames CP. Relaxation of forces needed to distract cervical vertebrae after discectomy: a biomechanical study. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2009 Apr; 22(2):100-4. PubMed
- Murrey D, Janssen M, Delamarter R, Goldstein J, Zigler J, Tay B, Darden B. Results of the prospective, randomized, controlled multicenter Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption study of the ProDisc-C total disc replacement versus anterior discectomy and fusion for the treatment of 1-level symptomatic cervical disc disease. Spine J. 2009 Apr; 9(4):275-86. PubMed
- Dang AB, Tay BK, Kim HT, Nauth A, Alfonso-Jaume MA, Lovett DH. Inhibition of MMP2/MMP9 after spinal cord trauma reduces apoptosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008 Aug 1; 33(17):E576-9. PubMed
- Dang AB, Hu SS, Tay BK. Biomechanics of the anterior longitudinal ligament during 8 g whiplash simulation following single- and contiguous two-level fusion: a finite element study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008 Mar 15; 33(6):607-11. PubMed
- Mok JM, Pekmezci M, Piper SL, Boyd E, Berven SH, Burch S, Deviren V, Tay B, Hu SS. Use of C-reactive protein after spinal surgery: comparison with erythrocyte sedimentation rate as predictor of early postoperative infectious complications. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008 Feb 15; 33(4):415-21. PubMed
- Chi JH, Tay B, Stahl D, Lee R. Complex deformities of the cervical spine. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2007 Apr; 18(2):295-304. PubMed
- Chi JH, Ames CP, Tay B. General considerations for cervical arthroplasty with technique for ProDisc-C. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2005 Oct; 16(4):609-19, vi. PubMed
- Tow BP, Chang PC, Mitra AK, Tay BK, Wong MC. Comparing 2-year outcomes of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using either patella-tendon or semitendinosus-tendon autografts: a non-randomised prospective study. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2005 Aug; 13(2):139-46. PubMed
- Puttlitz CM, Rousseau MA, Xu Z, Hu S, Tay BK, Lotz JC. Intervertebral disc replacement maintains cervical spine kinetics. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004 Dec 15; 29(24):2809-14. PubMed
- Soon M, Neo CP, Mitra AK, Tay BK. Morbidity following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using hamstring autograft. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2004 Mar; 33(2):214-9. PubMed
- O'Neill CW, Liu JJ, Leibenberg E, Hu SS, Deviren V, Tay BK, Chin CT, Lotz JC. Percutaneous plasma decompression alters cytokine expression in injured porcine intervertebral discs. Spine J. 2004 Jan-Feb; 4(1):88-98. PubMed
- Yue WM, Tay BK, Kasinathan ST. Patellar allografts in anterior cervical fusion - a two-year clinical and radiographic study. Singapore Med J. 2003 Oct; 44(10):521-5. PubMed
- Peng CW, Tay BK, Lee BP. Prospective trial of resurfaced patellaversus non-resurfaced patella in simultaneous bilateral total knee replacement. Singapore Med J. 2003 Jul; 44(7):347-51. PubMed
- Berven S, Tay BB, Colman W, Hu SS. The lumbar zygapophyseal (facet) joints: a role in the pathogenesis of spinal pain syndromes and degenerative spondylolisthesis. Semin Neurol. 2002 Jun; 22(2):187-96. PubMed
- Tay BB, Berven S. Indications, techniques, and complications of lumbar interbody fusion. Semin Neurol. 2002 Jun; 22(2):221-30. PubMed
- Tay BK, Deckey J, Hu SS. Spinal infections. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2002 May-Jun; 10(3):188-97. PubMed
- Berven S, Tay BK, Kleinstueck FS, Bradford DS. Clinical applications of bone graft substitutes in spine surgery: consideration of mineralized and demineralized preparations and growth factor supplementation. Eur Spine J. 2001 Oct; 10 Suppl 2:S169-77. PubMed
- Yue WM, Tan CT, Tan SB, Tan SK, Tay BK. Results of cervical laminoplasty and a comparison between single and double trap-door techniques. J Spinal Disord. 2000 Aug; 13(4):329-35. PubMed
- Su DH, Chan CW, Seow KH, Lo NN, Yeo SJ, Tay BK, Tan SK. Results of revision total knee arthroplasty. Singapore Med J. 2000 Jan; 41(1):6-8. PubMed
- Bradford DS, Tay BK, Hu SS. Adult scoliosis: surgical indications, operative management, complications, and outcomes. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1999 Dec 15; 24(24):2617-29. PubMed
- Tay BK, Patel VV, Bradford DS. Calcium sulfate- and calcium phosphate-based bone substitutes. Mimicry of the mineral phase of bone. Orthop Clin North Am. 1999 Oct; 30(4):615-23. PubMed
- Tay BK, Le AX, Heilman M, Lotz J, Bradford DS. Use of a collagen-hydroxyapatite matrix in spinal fusion. A rabbit model. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1998 Nov 1; 23(21):2276-81. PubMed
- Tay BK, Le AX, Gould SE, Helms JA. Histochemical and molecular analyses of distraction osteogenesis in a mouse model. J Orthop Res. 1998 Sep; 16(5):636-42. PubMed
- Tan MY, Seow KH, Tay BK. Chevron osteotomy for hallux valgus--SGH experience. Med J Malaysia. 1998 Mar; 53(1):63-9. PubMed
- Yeo SJ, Tay BK. Clinical experience with automated percutaneous discectomy. Singapore Med J. 1993 Aug; 34(4):313-5. PubMed
- Yu CS, Tay BK. Wide versus selective decompression in the operative treatment of lumbar spinal stenosis. Singapore Med J. 1992 Aug; 33(4):378-9. PubMed
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Fusion, MIS Symposium, Instructor, Cadaver Lab, San Diego, California July 2005
- When is Surgery Effective for Cervical Pain Syndromes, Diagnosis and Treatment of Painful Spinal Disorders, State of the Art, San Francisco, California April 2005
- Evaluation and Treatment of Cervical Spinal Disorders, Guest Lecture American Association of Physical Therapy, July 2005
- Use of THUMS and Post-operative Spinal Epidural Hematoma: Management and Neurological Outcome. Ganesh Swamy, MD, Bobby Tay, MD, Jose Cavanilles Walker MD, Serena Hu MD, Sigurd Berven MD, David Bradford MD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. North American Spine Society, October 2005
- Cervical Laminoplasty, Spinal Disorders Symposium, San Diego, California. April 2005
- Evaluation and Treatment of Spinal Trauma, UCSF Orthopaedic Basic Science Lecture Series. San Francisco, California. 2005
- Julius R. Krevans Award for Clinical Excellence, 1994.
- Drexler Research Fellowship, UCSF Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1997.
- LeRoy C. Abbott Resident Research Award, 1997.
Membership & Committees
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- AO Spine North America
- California Transplant Donor Network, Member, Board of Directors
- LeRoy C. Abbott Society
- Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation, Associate Member, Acad. Board of Trustees
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- Scoliosis Association Inc.