Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Nicholas Colyvas MD
Assistant Clinical Professor
BiographyDr Colyvas is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics at UCSF. His special interests include arthroscopy of the shoulder and knee, sports medicine, and the care of Athletes of all ages. Dr Colyvas is a Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery, and also has additional Board Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. Dr Colyvas attended Medical School in South Africa, after which he completed his residency at UCSF, and has been in practice in San Francisco for over 10 years. He serves as team physician for a number of local sports teams. He has particular interest in Rugby, and treats amateur and national level rugby players. Dr Colyvas sees patients and does surgery at the Orthopaedic Institute, where he is also involved in research. He also serves as team physician for Dominican University, and covers San Francisco High School Football teams with the Playsafe program.
- 1997-present: Orthopaedic Surgeon, Private Practice. Sports Medicine, Arthroscopic Surgery of the Knee and Shoulder Offices in San Francisco,CA, Redwood City CA, and Los Gatos, CA,
- 2005-present, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics. Sports Medicine and Shoulder Service, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- 2007-present: Director of Orthopaedic Surgery, Spine and Sports Surgery Center, Campbell, CA
- 2009-present: President, Orthopaedic Management Associates, Los Gatos, CA
- 2011-present: President, Salinas Orthpaedic Management Associates, Salinas, CA
- 2011-present: Medical Director Orthopaedic Surgery and Director of Shoulder Service, El Camino Hospital, Los Gatos, CA
- 1999-2004: Medical Director of Orthopaedic Surgery, Physiarty, and Podiatry, US Healthworks Medical Group, Northern California
- 1996-1997: Staff Orthopaedic Surgeon, Kaiser Hospital, West Los Angeles, CA
- 1992-1996: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- 1991-1992: Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA<
- 1990-1991: General Surgery Internship, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- 1988-1989: Post Doctoral Research Fellowship, Cardiovascular Research Institute, UCSF, San Francisco, CA
- 1984-1987: Bachelor Of Surgery and Medicine, MB.BCH, (MD), Witwatersrand University, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 1980-1983: Bachelor of Science, Med, BSc. (Med), Witwatersrand University, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Colyvas N, Phillips N, Stoney R, Havel R J, Rapp JH "Lipoprotein Profiles of Patients with Recurrent Carotid Stenosis" Surgical Forum, Volume XI,:VI:281-283
- Colyvas N, Rapp JH; Phillips NR; Stoney R; Perez S; Havel RJ; Kane JP "Relation of Plasma lipid and apopoprotein levels to progressive intimal hyperplasla after arterial endarterectomy" Circulation 1992 Apr, 85(4) :1286-92
- Pan XM; Nelken N; Colyvas N, Rapp JH; 'Inhibition of injury induced intimal hyperplasla by saralasin in rats" Journal of Vascular Surgery, 1992 Apr, 15(4):693-8
- Rapp JH; Lespine A; Hamilton R; Colyvas N; Tweedie-Hardman J; Kotite L; Kunitake ST; Havel RJ; Kane JP" Triglyceride rich lipoproteins isolated by selected anti-lipoprotein B immunosorption from human atherosclerotic plaque." Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis, 1994 Nov, 14 (11) : 1767-74
- Colyvas N, Eakin C, Gilbert R,. Skinner S: "Talectomy for Arthrogrypotic Clubfoot" Submitted to the journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Colyvas N: Orthopaedics Applications of Extra Corporeal Shockwaves. Submitted to The Journal of the Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- "ACL reconstruction failure: causes and solutions” N. Colyvas; Presentation at Stanford University Orthopaedic Grand Rounds May 2002
- “Extracoporeal Shockwave Applications for Musculoskeletal Conditions” N Colyvas; Presentation at AORN Meeting , San Francisco, Feb 11th2002.
- “Knee Surgery in 2002” N. Colyvas; Presentation at HealthSouth Workers Comp Symposium, San Jose, September 2002
- “News in Knee Surgery” N. Colyvas; Presentation at the Bay Club, San Francisco, April 8th2002
- “Orthopaedic Applications of Shockwave Treatment” N. Colyvas; Presentation at UCSF, Inman Abbot meeting, San Francisco, April 26th2002
- “ Knee and Shoulder Surgery” N Colyvas; Presentation to UCSF Occupational Medicine Department, San Francisco, July 25th2003
- “Common Shoulder Injuries in Swimmers” N Colyvas Presentation at Presidio Sports and Medicne, San Francisco March 14th2005
- “ Knee and Shoulder Surgery” N Colyvas; Presentation to UCSF Occupational Medicine Department, San Francisco, August 2ndth2005
- “Physician Integration: Wave of the future?” Presentation at Northern California Chapter Western Orthopaedic Association, Carmel Valley, April 10th, 2011.
- “Workers Compensation in Orthopaedic Practice, 2011” Presentation at Northern California Chapter Western Orthopaedic Association, Carmel Valley, April 10th, 2011.
- “Employing an Occupatonal Medicine Physician in your Orthopaedic Office” Presentation at California Orthopaedic Association Meeting, Laguna Niguel, April 10th, 2011.
- “Co-management Agreements- A California perspective” Presentation at the California Orthopaedic Association, Carlsbad, April 2012
Membership & Committees
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Member of the Board Inman Abbot Orthopaedic Society
- Member Northern California Orthopaedic Association
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Bay Area Knee Society
- Team Physician, Olympic Club Rugby
- Team Physician, Golden Gate Rugby
- Team Physician, Dominican University Sports Teams
- Team Physician, San Francisco School District High School Football teams (Playsafe Program)
- Team Physician, Olympic Club Basketball
NEWS & EVENTS
Click on the image above to download the full Spring...
Larry Kufel’s surgeon, Dr. Joseph T. Moskal, used the anterior...
PBS NewsHour followed up with some of their favorite stories from...