Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Nicole Schroeder, MD
Nicole Schroeder, MD is an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at UCSF. She is the Director of the Orthopaedic Hand Service at San Francisco General Hospital as well as Director of the UCSF Orthopaedic Resident Education Curriculum and Associate Residency Director. Over the past four years, she has work to develop an online curriculum designed to improve Orthopaedic resident education. She is currently Director of the Orthopaedic Intern Surgical Skills curriculum as well as incorporating the new ACGME milestones projects within the department. In 2012, she was awarded the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Outstanding Teaching Award. In 2013, she was awarded the UCSF Excellence in Teaching Award. In 2014, she was awarded the Henry J. Kaiser Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Ambulatory Care Setting. Dr. Schroeder was a member of the School of Medicine 2013-2014 Teaching Scholars Program. As an active member of the American Society of Surgery for the Hand, she sits on both the Resident Education and Emergency Hand Care Committees. Dr. Schroeder’s clinical practice is focused primarily at San Francisco General Hospital but she also spends time at the San Francisco VA Hospital and St. Luke's Hospital. Her clinical interests include traumatic hand and forearm injuries, tendinoses of the upper extremity, Dupuytren's contracture, arthritis, blood vessel and nerve problems, bone deformities, dislocations and fractures, joint problems, ligament and tendon injuries, and tumors.
Career2010 - Present, Assistant Clinical Professor
- 1999: BA, Williams College, Williamstown, MA
- 2004: MD, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- 2005: Internship, Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- 2009: Resident, Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- 2010: Fellowship, Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Washington University, St. Louis
- Sen M, Strauss NL, Harvey EJ. Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis of Distal Radius Fractures Using a Pronator Sparing Approach. Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity. 2008 Mar;12(1):2-6.
- Strauss NS, James MJ. Tetraplegia: Current literature, research and concepts. Current Orthopaedic Practice, Volume 19, 5: September/October 2008.
- Strauss NS, Goldfarb CA. Surgical Correction of Clinodactyly: Two Straightforward Techniques. Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity, submitted.
- Strauss NS, Lattanza LL. Open surgical treatment of post-traumatic elbow contracture in children. Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity, submitted.
- Schroeder NS, Goldfarb CA. Thumb ulnar collateral and radial collateral ligament injuries. Clin Sports Med. 2015 Jan; 34(1):117-26. PubMed
- Academy of Medical Educators, UCSF, 2016
- Henry J. Kaiser Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Ambulatory Care Setting., UCSF, 2013-2014
- Teaching Scholars Program, UCSF, 2013-2014
- JOJ Teaching Award. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UCSF, 2012