Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Scott Hansen, MD
Scott L. Hansen, M.D., FACS is plastic and reconstructive surgeon with a primary appointment in the UCSF Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and a secondary appointment in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery.
Dr. Hansen is a graduate of Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS). He participated in basic Science research throughout his 4 years at EVMS studying wound healing and peripheral nerve regeneration. He completed a combined General Surgery/Plastic Surgery residency at UCSF in 2005. Thereafter, he completed a 3-year post-doctoral research fellowship at UCSF. During this time, he was awarded a prestigious NIH-NRSA Grant that supported his work on heat shock proteins and cutaneous wound healing. He also completed a Hand and Microvascular Surgery Fellowship at UCLA.
Dr. Hansen was appointed Chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery at SFGH in 2007. He also serves as Chief of Hand and Microvascular Surgery at UCSF, co-director of the Hand and Upper Extremity Service at SFGH and Associate Program Director of the UCSF Plastic Surgery Residency Program.
Dr. Hansen's clinical interests include reconstructive microsurgery (head and neck, breast, upper extremity, and lower extremity), general reconstructive plastic surgery and hand and upper extremity surgery--both congenital and traumatic. He is also the Hand and Microsurgery editor for both the Annals of Plastic Surgery and ePlasty (on-line Plastic Surgery Journal).
- Radford University, Radford, VA, Business Major, 1989
- George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, B.S., Biology, 1992
- Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA, M.D., Medicine, 1997
- UCSF, Intern, General Surgery, 1997-1998
- UCSF, Resident, General Surgery, 1998-2000
- UCSF, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Resident, 2003-2005
- University of California, Los Angeles, Hand and Microsurgery Fellowship, 2006-2007
- UCSF, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Surgery, 2000-2003
Dr. Hansen a principal investigator in the Surgical Research Lab at San Francisco General Hospital. (SFGH), maintaining a basic science lab. His interests include diabetic wound healing, fracture healing, limb development and hemangiomas. He has collaborations with basic scientists in the areas of development, angiogenesis and the extracellular matrix. In conjunction with David Young's Lab and under the leadership of Nancy Boudreau, Dr. Hansen's lab has numerous primary and collaborative research projects:
- Diabetic wound healing. Evaluation of the effects of homeobox genes on normal and deficient (diabetic) wound healing; specifically, the group 3 homeobox genes which accelerate diabetic wound healing through a variety of mechanisms.
- Hemangioma and Homeobox gene expression. Evaluation of the expression of homeobox genes in hemangiomas. Development of both an in vitro and in vivo model to evaluate the development and regression of these vascular tumors.
- Fracture healing. In collaboration with the Orthopedic Surgery Laboratory, Dr. Hansen's research group is evaluating the expression of homeobox genes in stable vs. unstable bone fractures. Investigation of diabetic bone healing as compared to normal bone healing.
Nerve repair. Development of a nerve gap model to evaluate the effect of Hox genes on nerve growth and repair.
- Stem cell biology. Evaluation of the contribution that stem cells have on adult wound healing. This will be compared to diabetic wound healing.
- Denkler KA, Vaughn CJ, Dolan EL, Hansen SL. Evidence-Based Medicine: Options for Dupuytren's Contracture: Incise, Excise, and Dissolve. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Jan; 139(1):240e-255e. PubMed
- Wu HH, Patel KR, Caldwell AM, Coughlin RR, Hansen SL, Carey JN. Surgical Management and Reconstruction Training (SMART) Course for International Orthopedic Surgeons. Ann Glob Health. 2016 Jul - Aug; 82(4):652-658. PubMed
- Vaughn CJ, Raghavan SS, Hansen SL, Terry MJ. Obstacles to the Care of Patients With Multicomponent Volar Wrist Lacerations at a County Hospital. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 May; 76 Suppl 3:S238-40. PubMed
- Wong A, Lee S, Nathan NS, Wang F, Hansen SL, Harris HW, Sbitany H. Postoperative Prophylactic Antibiotic Use following Ventral Hernia Repair with Placement of Surgical Drains Reduces the Postoperative Surgical-Site Infection Rate. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Jan; 137(1):285-94. PubMed
- Wong A, Lee S, Nathan NS, Wang F, Hansen SL, Harris HW, Sbitany H. Postoperative Prophylactic Antibiotic Use Following Ventral Hernia Repair with Placement of Surgical Drains Reduces Postoperative Surgical Site Infection Rate. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Oct; 136(4 Suppl):12-3. PubMed
- Sbitany H, Kwon E, Chern H, Finlayson E, Varma MG, Hansen SL. Outcomes Analysis of Biologic Mesh Use for Abdominal Wall Reconstruction in Clean-Contaminated and Contaminated Ventral Hernia Repair. Ann Plast Surg. 2015 Aug; 75(2):201-4. PubMed
- Raghavan S, Peled AW, Hansen SL, Esserman LJ, Sbitany H. Approaches to microvascular breast reconstruction after total skin-sparing mastectomy: a comparison of techniques. Ann Plast Surg. 2015 May; 74 Suppl 1:S46-51. PubMed
- Wang ED, Conkling N, Xu X, Chern H, Finlayson E, Varma MG, Hansen SL, Foster RD, Hoffman WY, Sbitany H. Perineal flap reconstruction following oncologic anorectal extirpation: an outcomes assessment. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jan; 135(1):176e-84e. PubMed
- Sbitany H, Xu X, Hansen SL, Young DM, Hoffman WY. The effects of immunosuppressive medications on outcomes in microvascular free tissue transfer. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Apr; 133(4):552e-8e. PubMed
- Paydar KZ, Kohan E, Hansen SL, Roostaeian J, Gradinger GP. Long-term effects of breast aging in patients undergoing explantation: analysis of breast aesthetics from before augmentation to after explantation. Ann Plast Surg. 2013 Apr; 70(4):427-31. PubMed
- Jones NF, Dickinson BP, Hansen SL. Reconstruction of an entire metacarpal and metacarpophalangeal joint using a fibular osteocutaneous free flap and silicone arthroplasty. J Hand Surg Am. 2012 Feb; 37(2):310-5. PubMed
- Belek KA, Alkureishi LW, Dunn AA, Devcic Z, Kuri M, Lee CK, Hansen SL. Single-stage reconstruction of a devastating antebrachial injury with brachial artery, median nerve, and soft tissue deficit: a case report and review of the literature. Eplasty. 2010; 10:e33. PubMed
- Dunn AA, Belek KA, Devcic Z, Rathnayake S, Kuo JH, Kuri M, Chang DS, Hansen SL. Surgical treatment options for subacute ischemia of the hand: case report and literature review. Eplasty. 2010; 10:e30. PubMed
- Paydar KZ, Hansen SL, Chang DS, Hoffman WY, Leon P. Implantable venous Doppler monitoring in head and neck free flap reconstruction increases the salvage rate. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Apr; 125(4):1129-34. PubMed
- Mohebali K, Young DM, Hansen SL, Shawo A, Freise CE, Chang DS, Maa J, Harris HW. Open incisional hernia repair at an academic tertiary care medical center. Arch Surg. 2009 Sep; 144(9):848-52. PubMed
- Bates SJ, Hansen SL, Jones NF. Reconstruction of congenital differences of the hand. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jul; 124(1 Suppl):128e-143e. PubMed
- Lee CK, Hansen SL. Management of acute wounds. Surg Clin North Am. 2009 Jun; 89(3):659-76. PubMed
- Herrera FA, Lee CK, Kiehn MW, Hansen SL. The distal superficial femoral arterial branch to the sartorius muscle as a recipient vessel for soft tissue defects around the knee: anatomic study and clinical applications. Microsurgery. 2009; 29(6):425-9. PubMed
- Hansen SL, Foster RD, Dosanjh AS, Mathes SJ, Hoffman WY, Leon P. Superficial temporal artery and vein as recipient vessels for facial and scalp microsurgical reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 Dec; 120(7):1879-84. PubMed
- Lee CK, Hansen SL. Management of acute wounds. Clin Plast Surg. 2007 Oct; 34(4):685-96. PubMed
- Yu DH, Mace KA, Hansen SL, Boudreau N, Young DM. Effects of decreased insulin-like growth factor-1 stimulation on hypoxia inducible factor 1-alpha protein synthesis and function during cutaneous repair in diabetic mice. Wound Repair Regen. 2007 Sep-Oct; 15(5):628-35. PubMed
- Chang EI, Foster RD, Hansen SL, Jazayeri L, Patti MG. Autologous tissue reconstruction of ventral hernias in morbidly obese patients. Arch Surg. 2007 Aug; 142(8):746-9; discussion 749-51. PubMed
- Jones NF, Hansen SL, Bates SJ. Toe-to-hand transfers for congenital anomalies of the hand. Hand Clin. 2007 Feb; 23(1):129-36. PubMed
- Paydar KZ, Hansen SL, Charlebois ED, Harris HW, Young DM. Inappropriate antibiotic use in soft tissue infections. Arch Surg. 2006 Sep; 141(9):850-4; discussion 855-6. PubMed
- Hansen SL, Dosanjh A, Young DM, Boudreau N, Hoffman WY. Hemangiomas and homeobox gene expression. J Craniofac Surg. 2006 Jul; 17(4):767-71. PubMed
- Mace KA, Hansen SL, Myers C, Young DM, Boudreau N. HOXA3 induces cell migration in endothelial and epithelial cells promoting angiogenesis and wound repair. J Cell Sci. 2005 Jun 15; 118(Pt 12):2567-77. PubMed
- Foster RD, Hansen SL, Esserman LJ, Hwang ES, Ewing C, Lane K, Anthony JP. Safety of immediate transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous breast reconstruction for patients with locally advanced disease. Arch Surg. 2005 Feb; 140(2):196-8; discussion 199-200. PubMed
- Rhoads K, Arderiu G, Charboneau A, Hansen SL, Hoffman W, Boudreau N. A role for Hox A5 in regulating angiogenesis and vascular patterning. Lymphat Res Biol. 2005; 3(4):240-52. PubMed
- Hansen SL, Myers CA, Charboneau A, Young DM, Boudreau N. HoxD3 accelerates wound healing in diabetic mice. Am J Pathol. 2003 Dec; 163(6):2421-31. PubMed
- Hansen SL, Young DM, Boudreau NJ. HoxD3 expression and collagen synthesis in diabetic fibroblasts. Wound Repair Regen. 2003 Nov-Dec; 11(6):474-80. PubMed