Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
- Parnassus Heights
- 400 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94143
- Children's Hospital
- 744 52nd Street
Oakland, CA 94609
Dr. Sigurd H. Berven has a strong clinical interest in spinal disorders of children and adults. He is interested in pediatric and adult deformity, degenerative conditions of the spine, spinal tumors and spinal trauma. His research interests include assessment of clinical outcomes of surgery, and minimally invasive techniques in spine surgery. Berven also is studying cellular and molecular techniques for the biological regeneration of components of the spine including the intervertebral disc. Berven has been an invited speaker at national and international conferences, speaking on topics including measurement of outcomes in spine surgery, evaluation and management of spinal disorders, and advanced techniques in spine surgery.
He is a graduate of the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency. After completing his residency, he had further clinical training in Spine Surgery as a clinical fellow at UCSF and in pediatric orthopedic surgery as the chief resident at Boston Children's Hospital. Berven studied human biology as an undergraduate at Stanford University. He was a graduate student at Oxford University in philosophy, politics and economics. He received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School.
For more information, please visit Dr. Berven's page on www.spineuniverse.com.
Dr. Berven is currently interested in basic science studies in the molecular basis of spine fusion, and the mechanical requisites for optimizing fusion rates. He is collecting pedigrees for study of allelic variaton and the genetic basis of congenital and idiopathic scoliosis. He hopes to continue research into clinical outcomes of spine surgery for degenerative conditions of the spine.
- Cytokine Expression in the Rabbit Intervertebral Disc
- MP-52 Clinical Trial for Lumbar Interbody Arthrodesis
- Spinal Deformity Study Group- Clinical Outcomes Research Grant
- Kyphon Grant for studies in Biomechanics of vertebral augmentation
- DePuy Spine Grant for Studies in the Biomechanics of Cervical Fixation- Translaminar Screws
- 2005-Present: Associate Professor in Residence, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 2000-2005: Assistant Professor in Residence, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 1999: Chief Resident, Orthopaedic Surgery, Children's Hospital, Boston, MA
- 1987: BA, Human Biology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- 1988: MA, Philosophy, Politics, Economics, Oxford University, England
- 1993: MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1993-1994: General Surgery Intern, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- 1994-1999: Orthopaedic Surgery Resident, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Program, Boston, MA
- 1999-2000: Fellow, Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco.
- Coe J, Berven S, Arlet V, Donaldson W, Hanson D, Mudiyam R, Perra J, Shaffrey C: Complications in Spinal Fusion for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis in the New Millennium. A Report of the Scoliosis Research Society Morbidity and Mortality Committee. Spine. 2006 Feb 1;31(3):345-9.
- Hu SS, Berven SH. Preparing the Adult Deformity Patient for Spinal Surgery. Spine 2006, Sep 1; 31(19 Suppl): S126-31.
- Lowe T, Berven SH, Schwab FJ, Bridwell KH. The SRS Classification for Adult Spinal Deformity: Building on the King/Moe and Lenke Classification Systems. Spine 2006 Sep 1; 31(19 Suppl): S119-25.
- Schwab F, Farcy JP, Bridwell K, Berven S, Glassman S, Harrast J, Horton W. A Clinical Impact Classification of Scoliosis in the Adult. Spine 2006 Aug 15; 31(18): 2109-14.
- Glassman S, Berven S, Kostuik J, Dimar J, Horton W, Bridwell K: Nonsurgical Resource Utilization in Adult Spinal Surgery. Spine 2006 Apr 15; 31(8): 941-7.
- Glassman SD, Schwab FJ, Bridwell KH, Ondra SL, Berven S, Lenke LG. The selection of operative versus nonoperative treatment in patients with adult scoliosis. Spine. 2007 Jan 1;32(1):93-7.
- Wang MY, Berven SH. Lumbar pedicle subtraction osteotomy. Neurosurgery. 2007 Feb;60 (2 Suppl 1): ONS140-6; discussion ONS146.
- Berven SH, Lowe T. The Scoliosis Research Society classification for adult spinal deformity. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2007 Apr;18(2):207-13. Review.
- Berven SH, Deviren V, Mitchell B, Wahba G, Hu SS, Bradford DS. Operative management of degenerative scoliosis: an evidence-based approach to surgical strategies based on clinical and radiographic outcomes. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2007 Apr;18(2):261-72.
- Swamy G, Berven SH, Bradford DS. The selection of L5 versus S1 in long fusions for adult idiopathic scoliosis. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2007 Apr;18(2):281-8.
- Berven S, Smith A, Bozic K, Bradford DS. Pay-for-performance: considerations in application to the management of spinal disorders. Spine. 2007 May 15;32(11 Suppl):S33-8.
- Bridwell KH, Berven S, Edwards C 2nd, Glassman S, Hamill C, Schwab F. The problems and limitations of applying evidence-based medicine to primary surgical treatment of adult spinal deformity. Spine 2007 Sep 1; 32(19 Suppl): S135-9. Review.
- Bridwell KH, Berven S, Glassman S, Hamill C, Horton WC 3rd, Lenke LG, Schwab R, Baldus C, Shainline M. Is the SRS-22 instrument responsive to change in adult scoliosis patients having primal spinal deformity surgery? Spine, 2007 Sep 15; 32(20): 2220-5.
- Burch S, Hu S, Berven S. Aneurysmal bone cysts of the spine. Neurosurg Clin N Am, 2008 Jan; 19(1):41-7.
- Deviren V, Patel VV, Metz LN, Berven SH, Hu SH, Bradford DS. Anterior arthrodesis with instrumentation for thoracolumbar scoliosis: comparison of efficacy in adults and adolescents. Spine. 2008 May 15;33(11):1219-23.
- Mok JM, Berven SH, Diab M, Hackbarth N, Hu SS, Deviren V. Comparison of observer variation in conventional and three digital radiographic methods used in the evaluation of patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2008 Mar 15;33(6):681-6.
- Weinstein JN, Tosteson TD, Lurie JD, Tosteson AN, Blood E, Hanscom B, Herkowitz H, Cammisa F, Albert T, Boden SD, Hilibrand A, Goldberg H, Berven S, An H; SPORT Investigators. Surgical versus nonsurgical therapy for lumbar spinal stenosis. N Engl J Med. 2008 Feb 21;358(8):794-810.
- Mok JM, Pekmezci M, Piper SL, Boyd E, Berven SH, Burch S, Deviren V, Tay B, Hu SS. Use of C-reactive protein after spinal surgery: comparison with erythrocyte sedimentation rate as predictor of early postoperative infectious complications. Spine. 2008 Feb 15;33(4):415-21.
- Copay AG, Glassman SD, Subach BR, Berven S, Schuler TC, Carreon LY. The minimum clinically important difference in lumbar spine surgery patients: a choice of methods using the Oswestry Disability Index, Medical Outcomes Study questionnaire Short Form 36, and Pain Scales. Spine J. 2008 Jan 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Berven SH, Dimar JR, Dormans JP: Spondylolisthesis: Current Knowledge and Treatment Options. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2/07.
- Berven SH, Koman LA, Ekman EF: Diagnosis and Management of Acute and Chronic Pain in Orthopaedic Practice. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2/07.
- Anand N, Berven SH, Newton PO, Regan JJ: Anterior Thoracolumbar Spinal Surgery: Minimal and Maximally Invasive. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2/07.
- Berven SH, Boyd E, Leu D, Hu SS, Deviren V, Pekmezci M, Shah RV, Bradford DS: Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy for the Management of Fixed Spinal Deformity: Clinical Outcomes. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2/07.
- Fleischer GD, Berven SH, Lam J, Shah RV, Hwang K, Hu SS, Deviren V, Bozic KJ, Ries MD: Comparison Of The Cost Effectiveness Of Lumbar Decompression Surgery And Total Hip Arthroplasty. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2/07.
- Pekmezci M, Boyd E, Hu SS, Berven S, Deviren V, Bradford DS: Comparison of Fusion to L5 versus S1 in Adult Deformity Patients: A Matched Cohort. Scoliosis Research Society 42nd Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/07.
- Lowe TG, Berven S, Bridwell KH, Edwards II C, Glassman SD, Hamill CL, Shaffrey CI, Schwab FJ, Shainline MR: Long Adult Deformity Fusions Terminating at L5 vs. Sacrum/Pelvis. Scoliosis Research Society 42nd Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/07.
- Hamill CL, Glassman SD, Bridwell KH, DeWald CJ, Horton WC, Shaffrey CI, Berven S, Shainline MR, Wootten D: Neurologic Complication Rate in Adult Spinal Deformity. Scoliosis Research Society 42nd Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/07.
- Berven S, Lyon R, Lieberman JA, Hu SS: Neuromonitoring in Surgical Correction of Fixed Kyphotic Deformity: The Role of Motor-evoked Potentials. Scoliosis Research Society 42nd Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/07.
- Berven S, Labelle H, Deviren V, O?Brien MF, Roussouly P: Spondylolisthesis and Lumbopelvic Parameters: Defining the Relationship between Radiographic Measurements and Health-related Quality of Life (HRQL). Scoliosis Research Society 42nd Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/07.
- Berven S, Labelle H, Deviren V, O?Brien MF, Roussouly P: Spondylolisthesis and Lumbopelvic Parameters: Defining the Relationship between Radiographic Measurements and Health-related Quality of Life (HRQL). 22nd Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society, Austin, TX, 10/07.
- Copay A, Glassman S, Subach B, Berven S, Schuler T, Carreon L: The Minimum Clinically Important Difference in Lumbar Spine Surgery Patients: A Choice of Methods Using the Oswestry Disability Index, MOS Short Form-36, and Pain Scales. 22nd Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society, Austin, TX, 10/07.
- Glassman S, Copay A, Berven S, Polly Jr. D, Subach B, Carreon L: Defining Substantial Clinical Benefit for Lumbar Fusion. 22nd Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society, Austin, TX, 10/07.
- Pekmezci M, Deviren V, Tay B, Berven S, Burch S, Bradford DS, Hu SS: The Factors that Play a Role in the Decision Making Process of Adult Deformity Patients. 22nd Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society, Austin, TX, 10/07.
- Leaders in Spine, Chicago, IL, Disc Herniation and Stenosis with Reference to SPORT Study Data, 12/07.
- Invited Speaker for ?Current Controversies in Deformity Surgery and Spine Trauma?, Santa Fe, NM. Measuring Outcomes in Deformity Surgery. Classification of Adult Scoliosis. Evidence-Based Approach to Management of Degenerative Scoliosis. 2/08.
- Invited Speaker for ?U.S. Spine Masters? in Dubai, 2/08.
- AAOS Annual Meeting, San Francisco; Defining Substantial Clinical Benefit for Lumbar Fusion. 3/08.
- Invited faculty at Third Annual Course on Sharpening Your Spine Surgery Skills; The Spine Masters Institute, Burr Ridge, IL. 4/08.
- Invited Speaker at International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques (IMAST), 15th Annual Meeting, Hong Kong, July 2008: "xtravasation of rhBMP-2 with Use of Post-Operative Drains After Posterolateral Spinal Fusion," "valuation and Treatment for Primary Adult Spinal Deformity."
- Instructional Course Lecturer at International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques (IMAST), 15th Annual Meeting, Hong Kong, July 2008: "Degenerative Scoliosis: Sustained Fixation and Decision Making in the Aging Spine"; "Critical Evaluation of Bone Grafting Technologies."
- Papers and Abstracts Presented at International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques (IMAST), 15th Annual Meeting, Hong Kong, July 2008, "Correlations of Changes in Back and Leg Pain with Changes in Oswestry Disability Index," "SRS-22 and SF-12 in Surgically Treated Patients with Adult Scoliosis," "Extravasation of rhBMP-2 with Use of Post-Operative Drains After Posterolateral Spinal Fusion," "Predicting SF-6D Scores from the Oswestry Disability Index and Numeric Rating Scales for Back and Leg Pain"
Grants and Awards
- UCSF Orthopaedic Surgery: Compassionate Physician Award - 2007
- Spine Arthroplasty Society: Best Paper Award - 2005
- ABC Travelling Fellow: AOA - 2005
- Harvard Orthopaedic Program Outcomes Research Award -1999
- Moseley Research Fellowship for Research in Basic Science - 1996
- Cave Research Fellowship - 1996
Membership & Committees
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- National Scoliosis Foundation
- North American Spine Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
- International Society for Surgery of the Lumbar Spine