The UCSF Race Medical Team is an organized group of volunteers from UCSF and outside that provide the highest quality race medical care to large mass participation events. UCSF is the official provider of health care at the largest races in the Bay Area. We want to highlight our commitment to health in our community.
To view information for the 2017 season, please download our 2017 UCSF Race Medical Team fact sheet.
- We want to be part of and give back to the community. The Bay Area is one of the best places in the world and a great place to race! We want everyone to be safe and have a great race experience.
- UCSF wants to support race organizers and charities who are raising money for great causes.
- We want to provide the top level care at race events. We have so many skilled experts at UCSF and the community that can be brought together to form a great, organized medical team.
To become a part:
- Learn about the program at a volunteer meeting
- Register to volunteer (Note: Volunteers will be taken to a third-party Web site to create login to register; select the “medical” button on the far right top of the page. If a race is not posted, please return shortly. The 2016 volunteer registration section is currently being updated.).
- Questions? Send an email to email@example.com.
How do I get involved?
- Sign up by emailing your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you join the team, you will receive an email about this year’s coming events and how to sign up.
- You can sign up just to volunteer at one of this year’s events.
- You can volunteer to get more involved in the team’s planning activities for each race.
For each race we will need a specific number of volunteers. The sign up will be on a first come first serve basis for each race. Details will be on the email.
What does the Race Medical Team do?
- BE PART OF THE TEAM. The biggest reason for helping is the feeling that you are part of the team helping participants and families achieve their goals, and helping make community events safe and fun.
- LEARN ABOUT RACE MEDICINE. You can learn hands on about all the various parts of Race Medicine. Whether you want to learn how to be a race director yourself, or just help out the team, you’ll learn new skills and knowledge. The club will organize 3 team meetings where we’ll have an exciting speaker to highlight one area of Race Medicine.
- GET INVOLVED IN PLANNING THE CLUB. We need people to share their skills. We can use people to join small working groups including: recruiting volunteers, planning rewards/thank you clothing design, business planning, orientation meeting planning, medical team operations, website updates.
- REWARDS. To thank volunteers, we will have a special UCSF Race Medicine Team apparel.
If you help, to thank you will receive:
New volunteers: UCSF Race Medicine Team Long-sleeve shirt
Repeat volunteers: New Race Medicine Hat
5. BID LOTTERY. We’ll update clothing and designs each year. Also for those of you are runners, for some of our races listed we will get a chance to run at specific events as a running volunteer including hard to get in races. For each race you enter you will receive an entry chance to win a bid for upcoming races for those who are interested. You need to run for yourself though ☺, you can’t give it to someone else.
6. CERTIFICATE. We will also give you a certificate and letter of recognition to your department chair or supervisor noting your volunteerism.
Races (9 previous, 1 possible new race)
- SF Rock N Roll March 26, 2017
- Escape from Alcatraz June 11, 2017
- San Francisco Marathon July 23, 2017
- The Town’s Half Marathon August 12, 2017
- JP Morgan chase 5K September 7, 2017
- Golden Gate Half Marathon November 5, 2017
- Berkeley Half Marathon November 19, 2017
Mid March, 2017 (Date Pending) 6-8 pm at UCSF Mission Bay Campus, Genentech Hall (Seminar Room), 600 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94158: Team’s first intro meeting – Orientation to the club/race medicine; how to get involved March/April races
June date TBA – 6-8 pm: Team meeting 2-Team scenario exercises
October date TBA – Speaker / workshops
Thank you for your time and dedication to volunteer talent to care for runners in our community. Your role in helping at these big community events make a HUGE difference to helping keep people safe in such happy events.
Other UCSF Running Programs
Check out other great running programs happening now at UCSF making us the top place for runner care in the Bay Area: