Welcome to the UCSF PlaySafe Program
PlaySafe CARDIAC Physicals
We just completed the 5th Annual PlaySafe Cardiac Physicals Event.
The event was held on Saturday, May 4th 2013.
Program highlights are below…
- Program offers a FREE sports physical + cardiac screening.
- Each athlete receives an EKG screening exam.
- On-Site ECHO (Ultrasound) is available for additional screening.
- Over 1300 athletes screened in the last four years.
- 25+ bay area high schools have participated in this program.
- Program is made possible by the 100+ annual staff and volunteers.
- One day event held annually since 2009.
UCSF Concussion Clinic
The PlaySafe Program is expanding their services with the introduction of a concussion clinic within the department of Sports Medicine. Dr. Carlin Senter, Dr. Anthony Luke (Director of Primary Care Sports Medicine), and PlaySafe Athletic Trainer Elise Hammond will spearhead this effort.
- Evaluation by a Sports Medicine Physician trained in management of concussion injuries.
- Symptom evaluation with SCAT2 and ImPACT testing materials.
- Detailed step-by-step return to play progression program.
- Consultation and communication with your school’s ATC or official.
- Access to UCSF provider network for complex concussion injuries.
|Who We Are|
The UCSF PlaySafe Program is made up of certified athletic trainers, and sports medicine trained primary care physicians, and orthopaedic surgeons. PlaySafe is a non-profit outreach program from the division of Sports Medicine at the UCSF Orthopaedic Institute. For background and historical program information, please click the linke below.
|PlaySafe Certified Athletic Trainers|
The PlaySafe program is home to a diverse group of athletic trainers who…
- Completed a national certification competency exam administered by the Board of Certification and are in good standing with the National Athletic Trainers’ Association.
- Completed (or working to complete) a Masters Degree in Kinesiology or related field.
- Experience working at the professional, collegiate, and high school athletic levels.
- Annually attend professional and in-house continuing education seminars for professional development.
|PlaySafe At Your High School|
The PlaySafe program is experienced in building sports medicine programs and facilities at high schools considering athletic trainer/sports medicine care for the first time. Below is a list of services that our program can provide.
Athletic Trainer Services
- Determine the athlete’s readiness to participate in sport.
- Promote safe and appropriate practice, competition and treatment facilities.
- Advise on the selection and maintenance of equipment.
- Develop and implement an emergency action plan.
- Establish protocols regarding environmental conditions.
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies.
- Provide for on-site recognition, evaluation and immediate treatment of injury and illness, with appropriate referrals.
- Facilitate rehabilitation and reconditioning.
- Provide nutritional counseling and education.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a comprehensive athletic health care administrative system.
PlaySafe Program Services
- Sports Pre-Participation Physical Exams
- PlaySafe Cardiac Physicals
- Wrestling Weight Management Program
- Development of Sports Medicine Training Rooms
- On-Site Sports Medicine Care
- Sports Event Coverage
- Priority Access to UCSF Sports Medicine Clinic
- Access to UCSF Sports Medicine referral network
- PlaySafe Acute Injury Clinic
- UCSF/PlaySafe High School Student Sports Medicine Internship
- Coach / Parent / Officials Injury Education
- Sports Medicine Conferences and Community Outreach