2015 PlaySafe Cardiac Physicals
Sports Physical + Cardiac Screening
Thank you for your interest in the PlaySafe Cardiac Physicals Program. Since 2009, the PlaySafe Program is proud to offer this opportunity to high school student athletes of San Francisco and beyond.
PlaySafe Cardiac Physicals: Needle in a Haystack Video
How to Register:
Register for the 2015 PlaySafe Cardiac Physicals Event
(Registration will open in Early April 2015)
(2015 Program Flyer, Click to enlarge)
|Date:||Saturday, May 9th 2015|
|Location:||UCSF ORTHOPAEDIC INSTITUTE|
|Time:||From 8:00 am to 4:00 pm|
|Cost:||FREE!!! No Charge|
- Sudden cardiac death is a growing, yet preventable concern among athletes. Each year several deaths occur due to cardiac reasons. These events might have been prevented if the athletes’ heart conditions were detected early. Many athletes in professional and college sports are now getting electrocardiogram (EKG) and ultrasound screening for dangerous heart abnormalities. This may save an athlete’s life.
- UCSF Sports Medicine / PlaySafe Sports Medicine, in conjunction with UCSF Division of Cardiology, UCSF Pediatric Cardiology, CPMC Pediatric Cardiology, the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame, and CIF: San Francisco Section will offer free pre-participation physical exams complete with Cardiac Screening designed to identify athletes with potentially troubling heart conditions.
- Since 2009, our event has screened over 1950 student athletes. This even is made possible by the 500+ volunteers we have had support the program in past years!
Please Keep In Mind…
- This is a screening exam for your child’s athletic participation. If your child has any previously diagnosed medical, cardiac, or orthopaedic conditions, we recommend that you consult with your primary care or specialty physician instead.
- As a screening, this exam does not take the place of your normal visit to your primary care physician. Please continue to see them as scheduled.
- Our sports physical has several different stations to it (vitals, medical, cardiac, ortho) in which we will utilize a majority of our facility. We request that you wait for your child to complete their exam in the designated waiting areas.
- The physical exam we provide should not exceed two hours from the time the athlete enters the building. Please plan your time and transportation needs appropriately.
- Please contact your individual schools to see if they have arranged for any transportation options.
- Current High School Student Athletes Only (Grades 9/10/11/12 for F ’14).
- Incoming 9th graders for Fall 2014 are allowed to attend.
- Must be a Student Athlete.
- Program is reserved for athletes receiving a sports physical.
- Must be participating in a CIF Sport.
- Club Sports are not allowed at this time.
- Open to SF High Schools and Redwood / Drake / Tam High Schools
- Program is reserved for PlaySafe affiliated schools and those within SF City
Feel free to email…
Jason Miyamoto, MS ATC
PlaySafe Program Coordinator
(Due to the high volume of communication we receive, we thank you in advance for your patience. We will do our best to respond to all messages within 1-2 business days)
Event Contributors and Acknowledgements:
The PlaySafe Program would like to send a special thank you to the following organizations for their continued support of this event.
- UCSF Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- UCSF Cardiology, Department of Medicine
- UCSF Pediatric Cardiology
- CPMC Pediatric Cardiology
- National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame
- CIF San Francisco Section Office
Map to clinic
View Map / Directions to Clinic