Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Alfred Kuo graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with a degree in biochemistry, and then went on to receive a PhD in biochemistry and his medical degree at UCSF as part of the Medical Scientist Training Program. He was a resident in orthopaedic surgery and a research fellow at the University of California, Davis before completing a fellowship in lower extremity reconstruction at the Scripps Clinic in San Diego.
Kuo has received numerous awards and has published papers in Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, the Journal of Arthroplasty and the Journal of Cell Biology. Here at UCSF, he works closely with Hubert Kim, MD, PhD at San Francisco Veterans Medical Center, attends surgery and clinic at San Francisco General Hospital and continues his basis research.
- 2007-present, Assistant Professor in Residence, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco; Staff Surgeon, San Francisco VA Medical Center
- 2006-2007, Fellow, Lower Extremity Reconstruction, Scripps Clinic
- 2001-2002, 2003-2006, Resident Physician, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, Davis
- 2002-2003, Research Fellow, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, Davis
- 2000-2001, Intern, Department of General Surgery, University of California, Davis
- 1990- 1992, 1998-2000, M.D., Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA (Medical Scientist Training Program)
- 1992-1998, Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of California, San Francisco, CA (Medical Scientist Training Program)
- 1986-1990, B.A., Biochemistry, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- Shum, L., Reeves, S. A., Kuo, A. C., Fromer, E. S., and Derynck, R. 1994. Association of the Transmembrane TGF-? Precursor with a Protein Kinase Complex. Journal of Cell Biology. 125:903-916.
- Kuo, A., Zhong, C., Lane, W. S., Derynck, R. 2000. Transmembrane transforming growth factor-alpha tethers to the PDZ domain-containing, membrane-associated protein p59/GRASP55. EMBO Journal. 19:6427-39.
- Ebenstein, D. M., Kuo, A., Rodrigo, J. J., Reddi, A. H., Ries, M., and Pruitt, L. 2004. A nanoindentation technique for functional evaluation of cartilage repair tissue. Journal of Materials Research. 19:273-281.
- Kuo, A.C., Meehan, J.P., Lee, M. 2005. Knee fusion using dual platings with the locking compression plate. Journal of Arthroplasty. 20:772-6.
- Kuo, A.C., Rodrigo, J.J., Reddi, A.H., Curtiss, S., Grotkopp, E., Chiu, M. 2006. Microfracture and bone morphogenetic protein 7 (BMP-7) synergistically stimulate articular cartilage repair. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 14:1126-35.
- Kuo A., Ezzet, K.A., Patil, S., Colwell, CW Jr. 2009. Total Hip Arthroplasty in Rapidly Destructive Osteoarthritis of the Hip: A Case Series. HSS J. [Epub ahead of print].
Grants and Awards
- 2006, Leonard Marmor Surgical Arthritis Foundation Award
- 2005, Current Concepts Foundation Fellowship
- 2005, Selected, American Orthopaedic Association Emerging Leaders Program
- 2004, Vernon P. Thompson Award (Western Orthopaedic Association)
- 2004, Lloyd Taylor, M.D. Resident Award (California Orthopaedic Association)
- 2003, Finalist, Smith & Nephew Residents? Research Competition
- 2003, Selected, Clinician Scientist Development Program (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
- 2002-2003, Giannini Family Foundation Medical Research Fellowship
- 2002-2003, Denny Dickenson Orthopaedic Scholarship
- 2000, Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 1997-1998, U.C.S.F. Chancellor's Fellowship
- 1990, University Medal, U.C. Berkeley
- 1990, Graduation with Highest Honors, U.C. Berkeley,
- 1990, Departmental Award in Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley
- 1989, Carpenter Prize in Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley
- 1986-1990, U.C. Berkeley Regents Scholarship
- 1986-1990, U.C. Berkeley Alumni Scholarship
- 1986, Harry Scott Smith Award