A collaboration between UCSF and San Francisco General Hospital
Information for Referring Physicians and School Athletic Directors
|Location:||UCSF Orthopaedic Institute at Mission Bay|
|Address:||1500 Owens Street, Second Floor|
|Hours:||Monday-Friday, 8:00 – 5:00 PM|
|Maps and Directions:||www.ucsfhealth.org/pathway|
(Program Flyer, Click to enlarge)
The Bay Area Concussion and Brain Injury Program is a collaboration between UCSF clinicians from UCSF Medical Center, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital and San Francisco General Hospital. We are dedicated to the highest quality evaluation and treatment of sports-related concussion in children, adolescents, and young adults. A concussion is an injury to the brain caused by a blow to the head, neck, or body. Concussions can lead to significant symptoms, and require immediate recognition and proper management.
Our clinicians, from UCSF Medical Center, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital and San Francisco General Hospital, are among the nation’s top experts on concussion and brain injury. We are the region’s premier resource for evaluating head injuries and providing the right treatments to keep young athletes safe and healthy as they recover from their injuries. Our multidisciplinary team is comprised of experts from many different fields, including sports medicine, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neuropsychology, neuroradiology, neurology and neurosurgery. Because of this combined expertise, we have the ability to evaluate, diagnose and manage any level of brain trauma. We help families safely return their kids to school and sports after concussion.
|CLINICAL INDICATORS FOR REFERRAL|
A sports concussion is a brain injury and can be serious. Concussions require immediate recognition and proper management. Consider referring your patient to the program if he or she has suffered a blow to the head, neck or body and is experiencing one or more of the following:
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering things.
- Dizziness or problems with balance or coordination.
- Insomnia or excessive sleepiness.
- Multidisciplinary team approach to all head injury care, involving experts from a wide range of specialties in one place, on the same day.
- Through UCSF’s PlaySafe Program, we work with school districts across the San Francisco Bay Area to treat and raise awareness about concussion and brain injury. Athletes at participating schools receive:
- Comprehensive evaluation by a sports medicine physician trained in concussion management.
- A detailed step-by-step, return-to-play progression program.
- Consultation and communication with the school’s certified athletic trainer.
|INNOVATION AND RESEARCH|
Members of our team are engaged in numerous research projects focused on understanding brain injury and recovery. Their work has been published in multiple medical books and journals. For more information on the latest brain injury research and treatment innovations, visit www.brainandspinalinjury.org.