To download this information in pdf format, please click here.
Before your operation
- Pre-operative visit in clinic is scheduled for: _________________.
- At this visit you will have the opportunity to ask the surgeon questions about your operation before signing a consent form.
- PREPARE clinic is scheduled for: ________________.
- At this visit you will have the opportunity to ask questions related to anæsthesia, medications, general health.
- No food or drink before the procedure:
- Under 6 months old – no food/milk 4 hours prior to surgery.
- Over 6 months old – no food/drink after midnight prior to day of surgery.
- For spine surgery and hip surgery: the morning of your procedure you should soak for 30 minutes in a tub filled with ½ cup bleach diluted in a full tub of water. This will decrease risk of operative infection.
- See your primary doctor for a check-up, or at least make sure he/she knows that you are having surgery.
Day of operation
- Surgery date is: ___________________.
- Arrive at the hospital 2 hours before the start time. Report to Admitting/Registration (M-140). After registration you will proceed to the Surgical Waiting Room (M-104).
Before you leave hospital
- Call to schedule your 1st post-operative clinic visit: (415) 353-2967. This is usually 7-14 days after surgery.
- Arrange for any special equipment needs for your home (wheel-chair, crutches, car seat/harness, brace, etc)
- Plan for school (i.e. does your child need a school note?)
After your operation
- Keep your incision clean and dry, and don’t disturb any dressings.
- Contact us with questions or concerns.
- Main line: (415) 353-2967
- Nursing line: (415) 353-2913
- Resident on call: (415) 443-5621
- Come in for your post-operative visit 7-10 days after surgery.