Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Alan Zhang MD
Assistant Professor In Residence
- Dr. Alan Zhang is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and minimally-invasive arthroscopic surgery of the hip, knee and shoulder. In the hip, he frequently treats labral tears, FAI (femoroacetabular impingement), gluteus tears and various athletic injuries. He is a specialist in advanced hip arthroscopy for labral repair and reconstruction as well as hip preservation. In the knee, he treats ACL tears, meniscus tears and cartilage injuries- regularly performing ACL reconstruction and meniscus repairs. In the shoulder, he treats rotator cuff tears, dislocation/instability and clavicle fractures.
- Dr. Zhang is the Associate Director of the UCSF Sports Medicine Fellowship Program and is a member of the International Society for Hip Arthroscopy. He has published numerous award-winning research articles on the hip, knee and shoulder and frequently speaks at international conferences. He received the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Young Investigator Award for his work on cartilage imaging of the hip. He also provides medical care for the San Francisco Deltas Soccer Team, Golden Gate Rugby Team, and Bay Area marathons and high schools.
- Dr. Zhang graduated Summa Cum Laude from Rice University, studying biochemistry and cell biology. He obtained his M.D. from UCSD School of Medicine and was inducted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society. Dr. Zhang completed residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery at UCLA Medical Center followed by a fellowship in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco.
- To make an appointment, call 415-353-2808 or schedule an appointment online.
- Assistant Professor In Residence, University of California, San Francisco, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- BA- Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University
- MD- University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
- Residency- Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA Medical Center
- Fellowship- Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery, UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Dr. Zhang’s current research focuses on quantitative imaging of the hip, patient-centered clinical outcomes, and epidemiologic database analysis.
- Dr. Zhang is using innovative imaging techniques to evaluate early cartilage injury in the hip which won the 2016 AOSSM Young Investigator Grant. Online News Article. He also uses large national databases to analyze trends in orthopaedic surgery while working to integrate measurements of patient-centered care with current clinical treatments.
- Dr. Zhang is an active member of the national Multicenter Orthopaedic Outcomes Network (MOON) Shoulder Group, the UCSF Orthopaedic Surgery Research Committee and the UCSF Core Center for Musculoskeletal Biology and Medicine.
- Dr. Zhang is a reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine, The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery and The Knee.
- Samaan MA, Schwaiger BJ, Gallo MC, Sada K, Link TM, Zhang AL, Majumdar S, Souza RB. Joint Loading in the Sagittal Plane During Gait Is Associated With Hip Joint Abnormalities in Patients With Femoroacetabular Impingement. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Dec 1:363546516677727. PMID: 28006109.
- Brophy RH, Hettrich CM, Ortiz S, MOON Shoulder Instability Group, Wolf BR. Patients Undergoing Shoulder Stabilization Surgery Have Elevated Shoulder Activity Compared With Sex- and Age-Matched Healthy Controls. Sports Health. 2016 Nov 2. pii: 1941738116676810. PMID: 27807259.
- Samaan MA, Schwaiger BJ, Gallo MC, Link TM, Zhang AL, Majumdar S, Souza RB. Abnormal Joint Moment Distributions and Functional Performance During Sit-to-Stand in Femoroacetabular Impingement Patients. PM R. 2016 Oct 8. PMID: 27729286.
- Zhang AL, Sing DC, Rugg C, Feeley BT, Senter C. The Rise of Concussions in the Adolescent Population. Orthop J Sports Med. 2016 Aug 16;4(8). PMID: 27579334.
- Cheah J, Zhang AL, Tay B. Intraoperative use of neuromonitoring in multi-level thoracolumbar spine instrumentation and the effects on postoperative neurological injuries. Clin Spine Surg. 2016 Jul 11. PMID: 27404856.
- Samaan MA, Zhang AL, Gallo MC, Schwaiger BJ, Link TM, Souza RB, Majumdar S. Quantitative magnetic resonance arthrography in patients with femoroacetabular impingement. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2016 May 18. PMID: 27192497.
- Link TM, Schwaiger BJ, Zhang AL. Regional Articular Cartilage Abnormalities of the Hip. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015 Sep;205(3):502-512. PMID: 26295636.
- Sing DC, Feeley, BT, Tay B, Vail TP, Zhang AL. Age-related Trends in Hip Arthroscopy: A Large Cross-sectional Analysis. Arthroscopy. 2015 Jul 17. pii: S0749-8063(15)00500-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2015.06.008. PMID: 26194938.
- Sing DC, Ding DY, Aguilar TU, Luan T, Ma CB, Feeley BT, Zhang AL. The Effects of Patient Obesity on Early Post-operative Complications after Shoulder Arthroscopy. Arthroscopy. 2016 May 18. pii: S0749-8063(16)00262-0. PMID: 27209623.
- Feeley BT, Liu S, Garner AM, Zhang AL, Pietzsch JB. The cost-effectiveness of meniscal repair versus partial meniscectomy: A model-based projection for the United States. Knee. 2016 May 2. pii: S0968-0160(16)30003-5. PMID: 27157145.
- Ding DY, LaMartina J, Zhang AL, Pandya N. Acute Distal Biceps Rupture in an Adolescent Weightlifter on Chronic Steroid Suppression: A Case Report. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2016 Apr 21. PMID: 27104943.
- Wong SE, Zhang AL, Berliner JL, Ma CB, Feeley BT. Pre-operative Patient Reported Scores can Predict Post-operative Outcomes after Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Mar 31. pii: S1058-2746(16)00068-9. PMID: 27039669.
- Sing DC, Luan T, Ma CB, Feeley BT, Zhang AL. Is Obesity a Risk Factor for Adverse Events After Knee Arthroscopy? Arthroscopy. 2016 Mar 17. pii: S0749-8063(16)00047-5. PMID: 27013106.
- Dufka FL, Lansdown DA, Zhang AL, Allen CR, Ma CB, Feeley BT. Accuracy of MRI evaluation of meniscus tears in the setting of ACL injuries. Knee. 2016 Feb 22. pii: S0968-0160(16)00038-7. PMID: 26917035.
- Naimark M, Zhang AL, Leon I, Trivellas A, Feeley BT, Ma CB. Clinical, Radiographic, and Surgical Presentation of Subscapularis Tendon Tears: A Retrospective Analysis of 139 Patients. Arthroscopy. 2016 Jan 16. pii: S0749-8063(15)00894-4. PMID: 26786827.
- Naimark M, Dufka FL, Han R, Sing DC, Toogood P, Ma CB, Zhang AL, Feeley BT. Plate fixation of midshaft clavicular fractures: patient-reported outcomes and hardware-related complications. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015 Dec 15. pii: S1058-2746(15)00549-2. PMID: 26700553.
- Han RJ, Sing DC, Feeley BT, Ma CB, Zhang AL. Proximal Humerus Fragility Fractures: Recent Trends in Nonoperative and Operative Treatment in the Medicare Population. J Shoulder Elbow Surg (2015). J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015 Oct 1. pii: S1058-2746(15)00389-4. PMID: 26440695.
- Smucny M, Shin EC, Zhang AL, Feeley BT, Gaiju T, Hall SL, Ma CB, MOON Shoulder Group. Poor Agreement on Classification and Treatment of Subscapularis Tendon Tears. Arthroscopy. 2015 Sep 29. pii: S0749-8063(15)00660-X. PMID: 26432431.
- Zhang AL, Miller SL, Coughlin DG, Lotz JC, Feeley BT. Tibiofemoral Contact Pressures in Radial Tears of the Meniscus Treated with All-inside Repair, Inside-out Repair and Partial Meniscectomy. Knee. 2015 Jun 13. pii: S0968-0160(15)00112-X. PMID: 26081591.
- Smucny M, Menendez ME, Ring D, Feeley BT, Zhang AL. Inpatient Surgical Site Infection after Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015 Feb 18. pii: S1058-2746(15)00010-5. PMID: 25704827.
- Zhang AL, Theologis AA, Tay B, Feeley BT. The Association between Rotator Cuff Dysfunction and Cervical Spine Pathology. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2014 Nov 12. Epub. PMID: 25393668.
- Feeley BT, Zhang AL, Barry JJ, Shin E, Ho J, Tabaraee E, Ma CB. Decreased scapular notching with lateralization and inferior baseplate placement in reverse shoulder arthroplasty with high humeral inclination. Int J Shoulder Surg. 2014 Jul;8(3):65-71. PMID: 25258496.
- Zhang AL, Feeley BT, Schwartz BS, Chung TT, Ma CB. Management of Deep Postoperative Shoulder Infections: Is There a Role for Open Biopsy During Staged Treatment? J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014 Jun 24. pii: S1058-2746(14)00228-6. PMID: 24972813.
- Zhang AL, Gates CH, Link TM, Ma CB. Abnormal Origins of the Long Head of the Biceps Tendon can lead to Rotator Cuff Pathology: A Report of Two Cases. Skeletal Radiol. 2014 Jun 12. PMID: 24915738.
- Feeley BT, Zhang AL, Leopold, SS. Editor's Spotlight/Take 5: Hospital Readmissions After Treatment of Proximal Humerus Fractures: Is Arthroplasty Safer Than Open Reduction Internal Fixation? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Aug;472(8):2313-6.
- Zhang AL, Schairer W, Feeley BT. Hospital Readmissions After Surgical Treatment of Proximal Humerus Fractures: Is Arthroplasty Safer than Open Reduction Internal Fixation? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Apr 15. PMID: 24733446.
- Schairer W, Zhang AL, Feeley BT. Hospital Readmissions after Primary Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014 Mar 4. pii: S1058-2746(13)00615-0. PMID: 24618197.
- Zhang AL, Montgomery SR, Ngo SS, Hame SL, Wang JC, Gamradt SC. Arthroscopic versus Open Shoulder Stabilization: Current Practice Patterns in the United States. Arthroscopy. 2014 Apr;30(4):436-43. PMID: 24560907.
- Montgomery SR, Zhang A, Ngo SS, Wang, JC, Hame, SL. Cross-Sectional Analysis of Trends in Meniscectomy and Meniscus Repair. Orthopedics. 2013 Aug 1;36(8):e1007-13. PMID: 23937745.
- Zhang AL, Montgomery SR, Ngo SS, Hame SL, Wang JC, Gamradt SC. Analysis of Rotator Cuff Repair Trends in a Large Private Insurance Population. Arthroscopy. 2013 Jan 31. pii: S0749-8063(12)01841-5. PMID: 23375667.
- Gamradt SC, Gelber J, Zhang AL. Shoulder Function and Pain Level after Revision of Failed Reverse Shoulder Replacement to Hemiarthroplasty. Int J Shoulder Surg. 2012 June; 6(2):29-35. PMID: 22787331.
- Zhang AL, Kreulen C, Ngo, SS, Hame SL, Wang JC, Gamradt SC. Demographic Trends in Arthroscopic SLAP Repair in the United States. Am J Sports Med. 2012 May; 40(5):1144-7. PMID: 22328710.
- Li JT, Bian K, Zhang AL, Kim DH, Ashley WW, Nath, R, McCutcheon IE, Fang B, Murad, F. Targeting different types of human meningioma and glioma cells using a novel adenoviral vector expressing GFP-TRAIL fusion protein from hTERT promoter. Cancer Cell Int. 2011 Oct 28; 11(1):35. PMID: 22035360.
- Zhang AL, Gelber J, Gamradt SC. Removal of the Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis. Tech Should Elbow Surg. 2011 June; 12(2):40-45.
- Zhang AL, Exner GU, Wenger DR. Progressive Genu Valgum Resulting from Idiopathic Lateral Distal Femoral Physeal Growth Suppression in Adolescent. J Pediatr Orthop. 2008 Oct-Nov;28(7):752-6. PMID: 18812902.
- Zhang AL, Lewicky YM, Oka R, Mahar A, Pedowitz R. Biomechanical Analysis of Femoral Tunnel Pull-out Angles for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction With Bioabsorbable and Metal Interference Screws. Am J Sports Med. 2007 Apr;35(4):637-642. PMID: 17218654.
- Lau PP, Li L, Merched AJ, Zhang AL, Ko KW, Chan L. Nicotine Induces Proinflammatory Responses in Macrophages and the Aorta Leading to Acceleration of Atherosclerosis in Low-Density Lipoprotein Receptor(-/-) Mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006 Jan;26(1):143-9. PMID: 16254210.
- Zhang AL. FAI and Labral Tears: My way to treat them. Invited International Guest Speaker- Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association 36th Annual Congress. November 5, 2016, Hong Kong.
- Zhang AL. Outcomes of Intra-articular Corticosteroid Injections for Adolescents with Hip Pain. International Society for Hip Arthroscopy Annual Meeting. September 15, 2016, San Francisco, CA.
- Zhang AL. Sagittal Plane Joint Loading During Gait is Associated with Hip Joint Abnormalities in Femoroacetabular Impingement Patients. International Society for Hip Arthroscopy Annual Meeting. September 17, 2016, San Francisco, CA.
- Zhang AL. FAI and Labral Tears in Young Athletes. Pediatric Sports Medicine Conference, January 16, 2016- Berkeley, CA.
- Zhang AL. Top 5 Hip Pathologies for Primary Care Physicians. UCSF 10th Annual Primary Care Sports Medicine Conference: ABC’s of Musculoskeletal Care, December 11, 2015.
- Zhang AL. Quantitative Magnetic Resonance Imaging for the Hip. UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Faculty Research Retreat. August, 2015.
- Zhang, AL. Age-related Trends in Hip Arthroscopy: A Large Cross-sectional Analysis. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL- July, 2015. UCSF 60th Annual LeRoy C. Abbott Society Scientific Program- May, 2015.
- Zhang AL. Hip Injuries in the Young Athlete. UCSF 8th Annual Sports Injury and Rehabilitation Conference. June, 2015.
- Zhang, AL. The Association between Rotator Cuff Dysfunction and Cervical Spine Pathology. UCSF 60th Annual LeRoy C. Abbott Society Scientific Program. May, 2015.
- Zhang AL. Prevalence of Rotator Cuff Atrophy and Fatty Infiltration in Patients with Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis. Highlighted Presentation for Shoulder and Elbow Poster Tour- American Academy of Orthpaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV. March, 2015.
- Zhang AL. Pediatric Shoulder Injuries. Marin General Hospital Visiting Professor Grand Rounds. February, 2015.
- Zhang AL. ACL Injuries: An Up to Date Crash Course. Good Samaritan Hospital Visiting Professor Grand Rounds. February, 2015.
- Zhang AL. Sports Medicine Workshop. UCSF-SFGH Department of Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds. January, 2015.
- Zhang AL. Shoulder Red Flags: What Not to Miss. UCSF 9th Annual Primary Care Sports Medicine Conference: ABC’s of Musculoskeletal Care. December 2014.
- Zhang AL. Recent Trends in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Power of the Database Study. UCSF Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. October, 2014.
- Zhang AL. Proximal Humerus Fractures: An Analysis of Hospital Readmissions. Western Orthopaedic Association 78th Annual Meeting, Big Island, HI. July, 2014.
- Zhang AL. Management of Periprosthetic Shoulder Infections: Is There a Role for Open Biopsy During Two-Stage Treatment? UCSF 35th Annual Verne T. Inman Lectureship Program, San Francisco, CA. May, 2014.
- Zhang AL. Hands-on Examination of the Shoulder and Knee. UCSF 8th Annual Primary Care Sports Medicine Conference. December, 2013.
- Zhang AL. ACL Reconstruction and Graft Selection. UCSF Orthopaedic Institute Combined Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy Conference. August, 2013.
- Zhang AL. Recent Trends in Arthroscopic Versus Open Rotator Cuff Repair and Acromioplasty. Podium Presentation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA. February, 2012.
- Zhang AL. Demographic Trends in Arthroscopic SLAP Repair. Podium Presentation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA. February, 2012.
Grants and Awards
- 2016, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) Young Investigator Grant
- 2016, Invited International Guest Speaker- Hong Kong Orthpaedic Association 36th Annual Congress
- 2015, New Orthopaedic Vision Award
- 2014, Clinical Orthpaedics and Related Research- Editor’s Spotlight- June 2014
- 2014, Western Orthopaedic Association Research Poster Award- 78th Annual Meeting
- 2011, H&H Lee Surgical Research Travel Grant
- 2008, UCSD Gold Humanism Honor Society
- 2006, UCSD School of Medicine Alumni Scholarship
- 2005, NIH Summer Research Training Grant
- 2005, UCSD School of Medicine Tuition Scholarship
- 2004, Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- 2004, Rice University President’s Honor Roll
- 2004, Phi Lambda Upsilon Honorary Chemical Society
- 2001, Louis J. Walsh Scholarship in Science and Engineering
Membership & Committees
- 2015, International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA)
- 2014, Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS)
- 2014, The LeRoy C. Abbott Society at UCSF
- 2013, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- 2011, Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- 2010, California Orthopaedic Association (COA)
- 2009, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
NEWS & EVENTS
We are pleased to announce the Bay Area Global Health...
Our Walnut Creek Sports Medicine Center is featured in this...
Dr. Anthony Luke takes us through our paces and shows...