Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Associate Clinical Professor
Co-Director, Institute for Global Orthopedics and Traumatology
BiographyRichard Gosselin is a native of Montréal, Canada. He attended Collège André-Grasset for his undergraduate degree in Health Sciences. After graduating from college, he attended the University of Montréal Medical School, where he obtained his M.D. degree in 1979. He finished his Orthopaedic Surgery training at his medical school alma mater in 1984. Post residency, he completed a series of Orthopaedic Surgery fellowships: Musculoskeletal Infections in Senegal, Pelvis and Acetabular Surgery in Paris, and Orthopaedic Trauma at the San Francisco General Hospital-UCSF. He served as an Attending at SFGH from 1988-1991, and after pursued some international relief opportunities through the Red Cross. He later settled on his private practice in Merritt Island, FL where the focus of his clinical practice was Trauma and Joint Replacement. In 1999, he retired from his practice to pursue additional training as a public health scholar at the UC-Berkeley School of Public Health (MPH, 2001), and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (MSc, 2002). Ever since, he has been a Lecturer at UC Berkeley School of Public Health. His hobbies include traveling, photography, reading, and wine tasting. He has worked in over 40 different developing countries.
- 2007-Present, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco
- 2007-Present, Co-Director, Institute for Global Orthopaedics and Traumatology, University of California San Francisco
- 2002-Present, Lecturer, School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley
- 1999-2001, Orthopedic Surgeon, Merritt Island, Florida
- 1992-1999, Private Group Practice, Space Coast Orthopedic Center, Merrit Island, Florida
- 1988-1991, Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco
- 1986-1988, Attending Orthopedic Surgeon, Sacre-Coeur University Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal
- 1979, M.D.
- 1984, FRCSC, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Canada
- 1992, FAAOS, Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2001, MPH, Berkeley University, Berkeley, CA
- 2002, MSc, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Global Orthopedics. Caring for Musculoskeletal Conditions and Injuries in Austere Settings. Gosselin RA, Spiegel DA, Foltz M. Eds, Springer 2014
Membership & Committees
- 2000 - American Public Health Association (A.P.H.A.)
- 1994 - Orthopedic Trauma Association (O.T.A.)
- 1991 - S.I.C.O.T.( Societe Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopedique et Traumatologique)
- 1991 - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons – Member
- 1988 - Canadian Orthopedic Association – Member
- 1986 - Quebec Orthopedic Association – Member
- 1986 - Orthopedics Overseas – Member
NEWS & EVENTS
We are pleased to announce the Bay Area Global Health...
Our Walnut Creek Sports Medicine Center is featured in this...
Dr. Anthony Luke takes us through our paces and shows...