Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Rickard Branemark MD PhD
Visiting Associate Professor
BiographyDr. Branemark completed his PhD and received his MD from the University of Gothenburg in Sweden. He brings his extensive expertise in orthopaedic osseointegration to both the Orthopaedic Oncology and the Orthotic and Prosthetic Centers at UCSF. Dr. Branemark has pioneered the studies on titanium implants to anchor limb prostheses for more than 20 years. As the most experienced surgeon in this field, Dr. Branemark has been internationally acknowledged and was rewarded with the Hanger Prize in 2007 for his contribution to amputation research.
- 2015-Present, Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco
- 1999-Present, Director, Centre of Orthopaedic Osseointegration (COO), Department of Orthopaedics, University of Gothenburg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital
- 1987, MD, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 1987, MSc. Technical Physics, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 1995, Specialist of Orthopaedics
ResearchThe development of osseointegration in orthopaedic research. Responsible for introducing orthopaedic osseointegration for amputees in clinics in England,Australia, Spain, France, Chile, Denmark, Portugal, Belgium and Holland (from 1999 to present).
Membership & Committees
- President Orthopaedic Surgical Osseointegration Society (OSOS)
- Swedish Orthopaedic Association (SOF)
- The Swedish Society of Medicine
- Gothenburg Medical Society
- International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics (ISPO)
NEWS & EVENTS
We are pleased to announce the Bay Area Global Health...
Our Walnut Creek Sports Medicine Center is featured in this...
Dr. Anthony Luke takes us through our paces and shows...