Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
BiographyDr. Lionel N. Metz, M.D. specializes in the surgical treatment of pediatric and adult spinal disorders resulting in deformity, degenerative, and traumatic pathologies. Dr. Metz completed his undergraduate education at the University of California, Davis earned a B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, graduating with highest honors. He then completed medical school and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. After residency, he completed a fellowship in spine surgery at Washington University, St. Louis, specializing in both pediatric and adult spinal disorders. Dr. Metz’s research interests include the biology and biomechanics of degenerative disorders of the spine and intervertebral disc as well as basic science and pre-clinical regenerative therapies. His research is also focused on risk stratification and safety optimization for high-risk patients undergoing complex procedures. Dr. Metz will also be providing Pediatric Spine Care at Benioff Children’s Hospital in Oakland along with his San Francisco practice.
- 2015-Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco
- 2002, BS, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of California Davis
- 2008, MD, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine
- 2009, Intern, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco
- 2014, Resident, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco
- 2015, Fellowship, Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University
NEWS & EVENTS
We are pleased to announce the Bay Area Global Health...
Our Walnut Creek Sports Medicine Center is featured in this...
Dr. Anthony Luke takes us through our paces and shows...