Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Dr. Sibel Demir-Deviren is a physiatrist, a physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation. Physiatrists treat a wide range of problems from sore shoulders to spinal cord injuries with the aim of restoring function. They see patients in all age groups and treat problems that touch upon all the major systems in the body.
Demir-Deviren's clinical interests are musculoskeletal disorders, acute and chronic pain, spine interventional therapy, joint and soft tissue injections and peripheral nerve blocks. Her research interests include assessment of clinical outcomes of spine interventional therapy, intervertebral disc injury mechanisms and opioid-induced hyperalgesia.Demir-Deviren, a Clinical Professor in UCSF's Department of Orthopedic Surgery, also completed post-doctoral work in the department and was a research specialist whose topics included clinical outcomes in patients with spine disorders, therapeutic exercise, scoliosis, rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson's disease.
- 2017-present: Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 2010-2016: Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 2002-2009: Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 2002: Visiting Post-Doc, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 1999-2002: Research Specialist, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 1997-1999: Clinician and Director of Pulmonary Rehabilitation Unit, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ankara State Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
- 1993: MD, School of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
- 1993-1997: Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ankara State Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
- Effect of positive attitude on pain, disability, and health related quality of life in patients after spine interventional therapy
- Who gets Benefits from Spine Interventional Therapy?
- Intervertebral Disc Injury Mechanisms
- Biomechanics of Sacroiliac Joint in Patients with Spine Surgery
- The Efficacy and Safety of Pre-operative Administration of COX-2 inhibitors in Patients with Spine Surgery
- Berven, S.H., Deviren, V., Demir-Deviren, S., et al. Validation of the modified scoliosis research society outcomes instrument (SRS-22) for adult deformity. 37th Annual Meeting, Scoliosis Research Society, Seattle, Washington, September 18-21, 2002.
- Deviren, V., Berven, S.H., Demir-Deviren, S., et al. Discrimination validity of the modified scoliosis research society outcomes instrument (SRS-22) in adult scoliosis. 37th Annual Meeting, Scoliosis Research Society, Seattle, Washington, September 18-21, 2002.
- Demir-Deviren, S., Carrieri-Kohlman, V., Nguyen, H., et al. Effects of gender on dyspnea with activities of daily living and health-related quality of life after long term exercise training in patients with COPD. International conference, American Thoracic Society, Atlanta, Georgia, May 17-22, 2002.
Grants and Awards
- 2000, Chosen as one of (the most scientific) 25 papers among 5,000 papers in 2000 International Conference, American Thoracic Society
- Ranked in the 99th percentile in the country-wide residency examination
- Ranked in the 99th percentile in OSS and OYS
Membership & Committees
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Turkish Society of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Turkish National Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Association of Research in Rheumatology
- Strength of Life and Sports Associations