Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
- Brian Feeley, MD joined the UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery as an Assistant Professor in Residence in 2008. Feeley received his bachelor of science degree from Stanford University and his medical degree from Stanford University School of Medicine before serving his residency in the UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He completed a sports medicine and shoulder fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, where he also served as an assistant team physician to the New York Giants.
- Dr. Feeley's clinical focus is on athletic injuries of the shoulder, knee, and hip and the use of minimally invasive/arthroscopic procedures to treat these problems. In the shoulder, he treats rotator cuff tears/impingement, shoulder instability and labral tears, clavicle fractures, shoulder arthritis and shoulder replacement with reverse shoulder arthroplasty. In the knee, he treats ACL and other ligament injuries, meniscus tears, cartilage injuries, and early arthritis. He uses arthroscopic surgery to treat hip labral tears and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI).
- Dr. Feeley performs research on common shoulder and knee problems. In the shoulder, he is studying the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the development of muscle atrophy after rotator cuff tears. In the knee, he uses biomechanics to study novel techniques to evaluate the rotational stability of the knee. He also uses high resolution MRI to study meniscus problems and patellofemoral problems. He has published over 60 peer reviewed articles, review studies, and book chapters. He has received the AOSSM and OREF Young Investigator Award for his research, and recently received the Western Orthopaedic Young Investigator Award. He is currently funded by the NIH and OREF for his research.
- Dr. Feeley is currently the team physician for St. Ignatius College Prep High School and Balboa High School.
- To make an appointment, call 415-353-2808 or schedule an appointment online.
- 2008 - Present, Assistant Professor in Residence, UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2014-Present: Fellowship Director, UCSF Sports Medicine
- 1992-1993, UC San Diego
- 1993-1996, BS, Biological Sciences, Stanford University, with Honors
- 1996-2001, MD, Stanford Medical School
- 2002-2007, Resident, Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2007-2008, Sports Medicine and Shoulder Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
- The molecular pathophysiology of muscle atrophy and fatty infiltration in rotator cuff tears
- Clinical outcomes of shoulder arthroplasty
- Novel metrics in the assessment of rotational instability of the knee
- High resolution MRI analysis of patellofemoral pain and meniscus tears
- 1. Phan SC, Feeley BT, Withers D, Boxer LM. Identification of an inducible regulator of c-myb expression during T-cell activation. Mol Cell Biol 1996 May;16(5):2387-93
- 2. Sullivan J, Feeley BT, Guerra J, Boxer LM. Identification of the major positive regulators of c-myb expression in hematopoietic cells of different lineages. J Biol Chem 1997 Jan 17;272(3):1943-9.
- 3. Feeley BT, Park AK, Alexopoulos S, Hoyt EG, Ennen MP, Poston RS Jr, Robbins RC. Pressure delivery of AS-ICAM-1 ODN with LFA-1 mAb reduces reperfusion injury in cardiac allografts. Ann Thorac Surg 1999 Jul;68(1):119-24
- 4. Feeley BT, Park AK, Hoyt EG, Robbins RC Sulfasalazine inhibits reperfusion injury and prolongs allograft survival in rat cardiac transplants. J Heart Lung Transplant 1999 Nov;18(11):1088-95
- 5. Feeley BT, Poston RS, Park AK, Ennen MP, Hoyt EG, Vriens PW, Robbins RC. Optimization of ex vivo pressure mediated delivery of antisense oligodeoxynucleotides to ICAM-1 reduces reperfusion injury in rat cardiac allografts. Transplantation 2000 Mar 27;69(6):1067-74.
- 6. Miniati DN, Hoyt EG, Feeley BT, Poston RS, Robbins RC. Ex vivo antisense oligonucleotides to proliferating cell nuclear antigen and Cdc2 kinase inhibit graft coronary artery disease. Circulation 2000 Nov 7;102(19 Suppl 3):III237-42.
- 7. Feeley BT, Miniati DN, Park AK, Hoyt EG, Robbins RC. Nuclear factor-kappaB transcription factor decoy treatment inhibits graft coronary artery disease after cardiac transplantation in rodents. Transplantation 2000 Dec 15;70(11):1560-8.
- 8. Feeley BT, Ip, TC, Otsuka, NY. Skeletal Maturity in Myelomenignocele. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2003 Nov-Dec;23(6):718-21.
- 9. Sugiyama O, Sung An D, Kung SPK, Feeley BT, Gamradt SC, Liu NQ, Chen ISY, Lieberman JR. Lentivirus-mediated gene transfer induces long term transgene expression of BMP-2 in vitro and new bone formation in vivo. Mol Ther. 2005 Mar;11(3):390-8.
- 10. Gamradt SC, Feeley BT, Liu, NQ, Roostaeian J, Lin YQ, Zhu LX, Sharma S, Dubinett SM, Lieberman JR. The effect of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibition on human prostate cancer induced osteoblastic and osteolytic lesions in bone. Anticancer Res. 2005 Jan-Feb;25(1A):107-15.
- 11. Feeley BT, Gamradt SG, Hsu WK, Liu N, Krenek L, Robbins P, Huard J, Lieberman JR. Influence of BMPs on the formation of osteoblastic lesions in metastatic prostate cancer. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 2005 Dec;20(12):2189-99.
- 12. Feeley BT, Krenek L, Hsu WK, Gamradt SC, Liu N, Schwarz E, Huard J, and Lieberman JR. Overexpression of noggin inhibits BMP-2 mediated growth of osteolytic prostate cancer lesions. (Cover article) Bone. 2006 Feb;38(2):154-66.
- 13. Markolf KL, Feeley BT, Tejwani S, Martin D, McAllister DR. Where should the femoral tunnel of a posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction be placed to best restore anteroposterior laxity and ligament forces?Am J Sports Med. 2006 Apr;34(4):604-11.
- 14. Markolf KL, Feeley BT, Tejwani S, Martin D, McAllister DR. Biomechanical studies of double bundle posterior cruciate ligament reconstructions. JBJS 2006 88(8)1788-94.
- 15. Feeley BT, Conduah A, Sugiyama O, Jo MJ, Hsu WK, Chen ISY, and Lieberman JR. In vivo molecular imaging of adenoviral versus lentiviral gene therapy in two bone formation models. J Orthop Res. 2006 Aug;24(8):1709-21
- 16. Markolf KL, Feeley BT, Tejwani S, Martin D, McAllister DR. Changes in knee laxity and ligament force after sectioning the posteromedial bundle of the posterior cruciate ligament. Arthroscopy. 2006 Oct;22(10):1100-6.
- 17. Hsu WK, Sugiyama O, Park SH, Conduah A, Feeley BT, Liu NQ, Krenek L, Virk MS, An DS, Chen IS, Lieberman JR. Lentiviral-mediated BMP-2 gene transfer enhances healing of segmental femoral defects in rats. Bone. 2007 Apr;40(40):931-93.
- 18. Hsu WK, Feeley BT, Krenek L, Stout DB, Chatziioannou AF, Lieberman JR.The use of (18)F-fluoride and (18)F-FDG PET scans to assess fracture healing in a rat femur model. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2007. Aug;34(8):1291-1301.
- 19. Gollapudi, K., Feeley BT, Otsuka, NY. Advanced bone age in ambulatory cerebral palsy patients. Journal Pediatr Orthop., 2007 Apr-May;27(3):295-8.
- 20. Feeley BT, Gollapudi, K, Otsuka, NY. Body mass index in ambulatory cerebral palsy patients. Journal Pediatr Orthop B. May;16(3):165-9.
- 21. Laron D, Samagh SP, Liu X, Kim HT, Feeley BT. Muscle degeneration in rotator cuff tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Feb; 21(2):164-74.
- 22. Behera SK, Chang J, Feeley BT, Alejos JC, Levi DC, Drant S. Tissue Doppler imaging in the detection of rejection in pediatric cardiac transplant recepients. Pediatr Transplant. 2008 Mar;12(2):207-214.
- 23. Hsu WK, Virk MS, Feeley BT, Stout DB, Chatziioannou AI, Lieberman JR. Characterization of osteolytic, osteoblastic, and mixed lesions in a prostate cancer mouse model using 18F-FDG and 18F-F PET/CT. J Nucl Med. 2008 Mar;49(3):414-21.
- 24. Feeley BT, Fealy S, Dines DM, Warren RF, Craig EV. Hemiarthroplasty and total shoulder arthroplasty for avascular necrosis of the humeral head. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 Sep-Oct;17(5):689-94.
- 25. Feeley BT, Kennelly S, Barnes RP, Muller MS, Kelly BT, Rodeo SA, Warren RF. Epidemiology of national football league training camp injuries 1998-2007. Am J Sports Med. 2009 36(8):1597-1603.
- 26. Feeley BT, Powell JW, Muller MS, Barnes RP, Warren RF, Kelly BT. Hip injuries and labral tears in the national football league. 2008 Nov;36(11)2187-2195.
- 27. Feeley BT, Muller MS, Allen AA, Granchi C, Pearle AD. Biomechanics of medial collateral ligament reconstructions using computer assisted navigation. 2009 Am J Sports Med. Jun, 37(6):1123-1130.
- 28. Feeley BT, Muller MS, Allen AA, Granchi, C, Pearle AD. Isometry of medial collateral ligament reconstruction. 2009. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. Sep; 17(9) 1078-1082.PMID: 19421739
- 29. Feeley BT, Gallo RA, Craig EV. Cuff tear arthropathy: Current trends in diagnosis and surgical management. J Shoulder and Elbow Surg. 2009 Feb 7. May-June; 18(3):484-494. PMID: 19208484.
- 30. Feeley BT, Doty S, Warren RF, Lane JM. Deleterious effects of PTH administration of cartilage formation in a rabbit microfracture model: a preliminary study. 2009 HSS J. Sept 10. PMID: 19756868.
- 31. Feeley BT, Kelly BT. Osteochondroma of the Hip: A case report. Orthopaedic Reviews. 2009; 1:1;3-5.
- 32. Gallo RA, Feeley BT. Cartilage defects of the femoral trochlea. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009. 17(11):1316-1325 PMID 19399479.
- 33. Voos HE, Livermore RW, Feeley BT, Altchek DW, Williams RJ, Warren RF, Cordasco FA, Allen AA. Prospective Evaluation of Arthroscopic Bankart Repairs for Anterior Instability. Am J Sports Med. 2009 Dec 22. PMID: 20028847
- 34. Feeley BT, Muller MS, Sherman S, Allen AA, Pearle AD. Biomechanics of posterolateral corner reconstructions using computer assisted navigation. 2009 Arthroscopy. Aug;26(8):1088-95. PMID: 20678707
- 35. Bedi A, Feeley BT, Williams RJ 3rd. Management of articular cartilage defects of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg AM. 2010 Apr; 92(4): 994-1099. PMID: 20360528
- 36. Feeley BT, Gallo RA, Sherman S, Williams RJ 3rd. Management of osteoarthritis of the knee in the active patient. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2010. Jul; 18(7): 406-16. PMID: 20595133.
- 37. Liu X, Manzano, G, Kim HT, Feeley BT. A rat model of massive rotator cuff tears. J Orthop Res. 2011 Apr;29(4):588-95. doi: 10.1002/jor.21266 PMID: 200949443
- 38. Sproul, RC, Iyengar JJ, Devcic , Feeley BT. A systematic review of locking plate fixation of proximal humerus fractures. Injury. 2011 Apr;42(4):408-13 PMID: 21176833.
- 39. Kennedy A, Coughlin D, Metzger M, Pearle AD, Lotz JC, Feeley BT. Biomechanics of pediatric ACL reconstruction. Amer J Sports Med. 2011 May;39(5):964-71. PMID: 21257848
- 40. Cheung S, Dillon E, Tham SC, Feeley BT, Link TM, Steinback L, Ma CB. The presence of fatty infiltration in the infraspinatus: its relation with the condition of the supraspinatus tendon. Arthroscopy. 2011. Apr; 27(4):463-70. PMID: 21277734.
- 41. Iyengar JJ, Ho J, Feeley BT. Evaluation and management of proximal humerus fractures. Phys Sportsmed. 2011 Feb;39(1):52-61. PMID: 21378487.
- 42. Drakos MC, Feeley BT, Barnes R, Muller M, Burruss TP, Warren PF. Lower cervical posterior element fractures in the national football league: A report of two cases and a review of the literature. Neurosurgery. 2011 Jun;68(6):E1743-8; discussion E1748-9 PMID: 21389890.
- 43. Piper SL, Kramer JD, Kim HT, Feeley BT. Effects of local anesthetics on articular cartilage. Am J Sports Med. 2011. Oct; 39(10):2245-53. PMID: 21515808.
- 44. Iyengar JJ, Sproul RC Devcic Z, Feeley BT. Nonoperative management of proximal humerus fractures: a systematic review. J Orthop Trauma. 2011. Oct;24(10)612-7. PMID: 21654525.
- 45. Shearer DW, Kramer J, Bozic KJ, Feeley BT. Is hip arthroscopy cost effective for femoroacetabular impingement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011. Aug 13. PMID: 21842295.
- 46. Toogood P, Horst P, Samagh S, Feeley BT. Clavicle fractures: a review of the literature and update on treatment. Phys Sportsmed. 2011 Sept;39(3):142-50. PMID: 22030950.
- 47. Laron D, Samagh SP, Liu X, Kim HT, Feeley BT. Muscle degeneration in rotator cuff tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Feb; 21(2):164-74. PMID: 22244059.
- 48. Liu X, Laron D, Manzano G, Kim HT, Feeley BT. A mouse model of massive rotator cuff tears. J Bone and Joint Surg Am. 2012 Apr; 94(7):e411-10. PMID 22488625
- 49. Liu X, Sunil, Kim HT, Feeley BT. Role of Akt/mTOR on the development of muscle atrophy in rotator cuff tears. J Orthop Res. 2012. Feb 29. doi: 10.1002/jor.22096. PMID 22378614.
- 50. Kothari A, Haughom B, Feeley B, Li X, Ma CB: Evaluating rotational kinematics of the knee in ACL reconstructed patients using 3.0 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging. Knee 2012 Jan 19 (EPub ahead of press.)
- 1. Feeley BT and Lieberman JR. Warfarin prophylaxis following total hip and knee arthroplasty. Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2004. 19(4):266-274.
- 2. Feeley BT, Hsu WK, and Lieberman JR. Thromboprophylaxis after hip fracture. Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2004. 19(3) 171-180.
- 3. Feeley BT and Rodeo SA. Osteochondral allograft transplantation. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 2009 Vol 8, No 1.
- 4. Reddy S, Ma CB, and Feeley BT. Osteochondral autograft transplantation. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 2009. Vol 8, No. 1
- 5. Lucas RM, Iyengar JJ, Ma CB, Feeley BT. Management of Subscapularis Tears. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2012.
- Books and Chapters
- 1. Feeley BT and Lieberman JR. Thromboprophylaxis after total hip arthroplasty.
- 2. Feeley BT and Craig EV. Avascular necrosis of the shoulder. Chapter in Arthritis and Arthoplasty: The Shoulder. David Dines MD, Editor.
- 3. Feeley BT and Williams RJ III. Osteochondral Allografts. Chapter in Cartilage Techniques Brian Cole, MD Editor.
- 4. Feeley BT and Ma CB. Posterior Labral Repairs. Chapter in Masters Techniques in Sports Medicine. 2011 Freddie Fu, MD Editor.
- 5. Feeley BT and Ma CB. Anterior stabilization. Chapter in Masters Techniques in Sports Medicine. 2011 Freddie Fu, MD Editor.
- 6. Feeley BT and Kim HS. Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation. Chapter in Masters Techniques in Sports Medicine. 2011 Freddie Fu, MD Editor.
- 7. Ma CB and Feeley BT. Editors. Basic Principles and Opertive Management of Rotator Cuff Tears. Slack Inc. May 2012.
For an up-to-date listing of peer reviewed publications, please see the pubmed listing.
- Laron D, Samagh SP, Liu X, Kim HT, Feeley BT. Muscle degeneration in rotator cuff tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Feb; 21(2):164-74. PMID: 22244059.
- Liu X, Laron D, Manzano G, Kim HT, Feeley BT. A mouse model of massive rotator cuff tears. J Bone and Joint Surg Am. 2012 Apr; 94(7):e411-10. PMID 22488625
- Liu X, Sunil, Kim HT, Feeley BT. Role of Akt/mTOR on the development of muscle atrophy in rotator cuff tears. J Orthop Res. 2012. Feb 29. doi: 10.1002/jor.22096. PMID 22378614.
- Kennedy A, Coughlin D, Metzger M, Pearle AD, Lotz JC, Feeley BT. Biomechanics of pediatric ACL reconstruction. Amer J Sports Med. 2011 May;39(5):964-71. PMID: 21257848
|2008||Course Faculty. The Examination of the Shoulder in the Young Athlete. Primary Care Sports Medicine Conference, New York, April 2008.|
|2012||Invited Speaker. Non operative management of shoulder problems. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.|
|2012||Course Instructor, AAOS Instructional Course Lecture. Let's do a shoulder arthroplasty. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.|
|2008||USCF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. Biomechanics of MCL reconstructions using computer assisted navigation. September 2008.|
|2008||Course Faculty: ABCs of primary care sports medicine. Pediatric Sports Injuries. Primary Care Sports Medicine Conference, San Francisco, CA, November 2008.|
|2008||Course Faculty: ABCs of primary care sports medicine. Hip pain. Primary Care Sports Medicine Conference, San Francisco, CA, November 2008.|
|2009||Keynote Speaker. I Found it, What about you? Sports Medicine - My Career. Contra Costa Health Bioscience Career Fair, January 2009.|
|2009||Pediatric Grand Rounds. Pediatric Sports Injuries. Monterey, CA, March 2009.|
|2009||Course Faculty: Update in Sports Medicine. UCSF Internal Medicine, San Francisco CA, May 2009|
|2009||Pediatric Preparticipation Exam: Orthopaedics. California Pacific Medical Center Pediatric Grand Rounds. San Francisco, CA. August 2009.|
|2009||Course Faculty: ABCs of primary care sports medicine. November 2009.|
|2010||Keynote Speaker. I Found it, What about you? Sports Medicine-My Career. Contra Costa Health Bioscience Fair, March 2010.|
|2010||Course Faculty: Update in Sports Medicine, UCSF Internal Medicine, San Francisco, CA, May 2010.|
|2010||Pediatric Sports Injuries. California Pacific Medical Center Pediatric Grand Rounds, October 2010.|
|2010||Course Faculty: ABCs of primary care sports medicine. San Francisco, CADecember 2010.|
|2011||Course Faculty: UCSF PT/ATC Annual Conference. San Francisco, CA, May 2011|
|2011||Course Faculty: ABCs of primary care sports medicine. San Francisco, CA, December 2011.|
|2012||Update on Rotator Cuff Tears. UCSF Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. San Francisco, CA, February 2012.|
Grants and Awards
- OREF Young Investigator Award. The pathophysiology of massive rotator cuff tears.
- AOSSM Young Investigator Award. Computer assisted navigation to assess the biomechanics of ACL reconstructions.
- OREF Resident Research Award (2010). High resolution T1rho MRI to assess cartilage changes in patellofemoral pain. Co-investigator.
- OREF Resident Research Award (2012). Biomechanics of clavicle reconstruction. Co-investigator.
- HONORS AND AWARDS
|1990||Academic All American, Woodside High School, Swimming and Water Polo 1990, 1991, 1992.|
|1996||Firestone Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research in Biological Sciences, Stanford University, June 1996.|
|1997||Stanford University Medical Scholars Award. Research award given for research in oncogenic activation.|
|1999||Outstanding Oral Presentation, Stanford Medical Scholars Symposium.|
|2000||Merle Wood Scholar Research Award of the Andrew G. Morrow Cardiothoracic Surgery Society.|
|2000||Young Investigator Award, American Society of Transplant Physicians.|
|2000||Outstanding Poster Presentation, Stanford Medical Scholars Symposium.|
|2002||Intern of the Year, Department of Surgery.|
|2005||Outstanding Poster, Adult Knee Section. Where should the femoral tunnel of a PCL graft reconstruction be drilled to best restore anterior-posterior knee laxity? ORS/AAOS Annual Meeting.|
|2005||Longmire Award for Surgical Research, Department of Surgery, UCLA.|
|2005||Finalist, Smith and Nephew Orthopaedic Resident Research Competition. Single vs. Double bundle PCL graft reconstructions: how does the addition of a posteromedial bundle affect AP laxity and graft forces?|
|2006||Cover article, Bone, February 2006.Overexpression of noggin inhibits BMP-2 mediated growth of osteolytic prostate cancer lesions.|
|2006||California Orthopaedic Association Resident Research Award. Hsu WK and Feeley BT, Krenek L, Lieberman JR. Role of PET scanning in the early detection of non-unions in a rat model.|
|2006||Orthopaedic Hospital Outstanding Research Presentation. In vivo imaging of adenoviral vs. lentiviral mediated gene therapy in two bone formation models.|
|2007||Shriners Hospital for Children Los Angeles Outstanding Research Presentation. Skeletal maturity in ambulatory cerebral palsy patients.|
|2007||American College of Surgeons, West Coast Chapter. Outstanding Research Presentation. Role of BMP in the development and progression of metastatic lesions to bone.|
|2007||Edgar J. Dawson Award for Outstanding Teaching, UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.|
|2009||AOSSM Young Investigator Award. Biomechanics of pediatric ACL reconstruction.|
|2010||OREF Young Investigator Award.|
Membership & Committees
- Active Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Active Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Active Member, Orthopaedic Research Society
- Active Member, Western Orthopaedic Society
NEWS & EVENTS
We are pleased to announce the Bay Area Global Health...
Our Walnut Creek Sports Medicine Center is featured in this...
Dr. Anthony Luke takes us through our paces and shows...