Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Harry Jergesen MD
Emeritus Clinical Professor
Since 2004, a major focus in Dr. Jergesen's clinical work has been in the area of overseas healthcare. Besides working in Central and South America, he has traveled yearly from 2008-2012 to provide clinical care and to perform public health research at the Bedford Orthopaedic Hospital in Mthatha, South Africa. His current academic focus is on arthroplasty care in US safety net hospitals. He is active in the orthopaedic section of the UCSF Global Health Sciences Program, and serves on the Board of Directors of Orthopaedics Overseas.
The Jergesen Endowment Fund was started by Dr. Jergesen's family to ensure that residents and students would have access to global orthopaedic education and research.
You can support these efforts here: https://makeagift.ucsf.edu/floydjergesen
CareerDepartment of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 1978 - 1981 Clinical Instructor
- 1981 - 1984 Assistant Clinical Professor
- 1984 - 1992 Assistant Professor in Residence
- 1992 - 1998 Associate Professor
- 1998 - Present Clinical Professor
- 1978 - 1982 Assistant Director, Rehab Engineering Research & Development Program
- 1978 - 2007 Attending Physician
- 1991 - 1997 Vice-Chief, Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1998 - 2007 Acting Chief and Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2007-Present Attending Surgeon
- 2006-Present Co-Director, Institute of Global Orthopaedics and Traumatology
- 1968: AB, Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass.
- 1972: MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass.
- 1972 - 1973: General Surgery Internship, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- 1973 - 1974: General Surgery Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- 1975 - 1977: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency, Boston, Mass.
- 1978: Orthopaedic Surgery Chief Residency and Fellowship, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass.
▪ Principle Investigator: Use of the Athymic Rat Subcutaneous Pouch Model in the Study of Repair Mechanisms in Human Osteonecrotic Bone. This project, which I designed and carried out at the SF VAMC, was a pilot study to establish an animal model to elucidate the effects of growth factors on the recruitment of osteoprogenitor cells in the presence of diseased human bone. Funded through departmental grants. 2002-2005
▪ Co-Principle Investigator and Faculty Advisor: Assessment of Pre-Hospital Care in Orthopaedic Trauma in a Public Hospital In Sub-Saharan Africa. PI: Edward Aluede, 1st year Medical Student, UCSF 2007-2008 PI: Monica Grova, 1st year Medical Student, UCSF 2008-2009. Funded under the auspices of the Institute for Global Orthopaedics and Traumatology and the Office of the Dean, UCSF. 2007-2010
▪ Co-Principle Investigator and Faculty Advisor: Comparative Mechanical Performance Analysis of Dynamic Compression Plates From Developing World Manufacturers. Co-PIs: Shearer, David; Penoyar, Thomas; Aluede, Edward; Calvert, Kayla. Funded by the AO Synthes Foundation. 2010-12
▪ Principle Investigator: Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty in US Public Health Safety Net Hospitals; Current Status and Future Challenges. Funded By the Institute of Global Orthopaedics and Traumatology. 2015-present
Orthopaedic Volunteerism 1/10/13
▪ 50th Annual Meeting, Leroy C Abbott Orthopaedic Society, San Francisco, Ca Early Complications in Hip And Knee Arthroplasties Carried out in a Safety Net Hospital and a University Center 5/15/15
▪ 2016 Annual Meeting, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons,
Hip and Knee Arthroplasty In A Safety Net Hospital: Not So Safe 3/4/16
Grants and Awards
- 1965, Harvard College Scholarship
- 1968, Harvard College A.B. cum laude
- 1972, Honor Medical Society, Harvard Medical School Chapter of Alpha Omega
- 1998, Department of Veteran's Affairs Service Award
- 1999, Compassionate Physician Award, UCSF Orthopaedic Residency Program
- 2002, James O. Johnston Teaching Award, UCSF Orthopaedic Residency Program
- 2003, Department of Veteran’s Affairs Service Award
- 2008, Compassionate Physician Award, UCSF Orthopaedic Residency Program
Membership & Committees
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Association of VA Orthopaedic Surgeons
- California Medical Association
- California Orthopaedic Association
- LeRoy C. Abbott Orthopaedic Society
- San Francisco Medical Society
- Western Orthopaedic Association
- Wilson Bost Interurban Orthopaedic Club
- Health Volunteers Overseas
- Board of Directors, Orthopaedics Overseas
NEWS & EVENTS
We are pleased to announce the Bay Area Global Health...
Our Walnut Creek Sports Medicine Center is featured in this...
Dr. Anthony Luke takes us through our paces and shows...