Find an Expert
- Arthroplasty/Joint Replacement
- Basic Research
- Foot & Ankle
- Intervertebral Disc
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Skeletal Health
- Sports Medicine
- Stem Cells
- Surgical Navigation/Robotics
- Trauma & Problem Fractures
Matthew Garibaldi, MS, CPO
Assistant Clinical Professor
Director of Orthotics and Prosthetics Dept.
BiographyMatthew Garibaldi serves as an Assistant Clinical Professor and as the Director of the Orthotic and Prosthetic Centers for the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at UCSF. He is a specialist in upper extremity myoelectric prosthetics and also caters to the needs of high-level and advanced lower extremity prosthetic users. His research is focused on performance and outcomes of prosthetic procedures and devices. Matthew also focuses much of his efforts on creating new socket technology as it pertains to maximizing patient comfort and performance. Following his clinical experience at Stanford’s Rehabilitation Engineering Department, Matthew earned his Bachelors of Science degree in prosthetics and orthotics from The University of Washington in 1999. He completed both his orthotic and prosthetic residencies at Northwest Prosthetic and Orthotic Clinic with the affiliation of Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, Washington. He was board certified in orthotics in 2001 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics and ABC certified in Prosthetics in 2002. In his early career Matthew served as the head of upper extremity prosthetic services for UCSF between 2002 and 2007 where he focused his efforts on creating upper extremity prosthetic protocols and advance treatment modalities. Matthew served as an upper and lower extremity prosthetic specialist for International Prosthetics and Orthotics, Bohemia, N.Y. where he served as the firm’s primary prosthetist for Nassau County, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. ollowing his clinical experiences in New York, Matthew joined Biodesings, an innovative and technology-driven prosthetic company specializing in high performance upper and lower extremity patient care and product development. In his position at Biodesings, he worked on high-performance upper and lower extremity cases and was instrumental in the development of advanced socket technology. In 2011 Matthew returned to UCSF to accept a faculty position as Assistant Clinical Professor and was named Director of the Orthotic and Prosthetic Centers.
- 2010 - Present: Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco
- 2008-2010: Practitioner, OrthoPros, Santa Monica, CA
- 2008-2010: Upper Extremity Prosthetic Specialist, Biodesigns, Inc., Santa Monica, CA
- 2007-2008: Practitioner, International P&O, Bohemia, New York
- 2002-2007: Practitioner, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco
- 2001-2002: Quality Control Manager, Northwest P&O Clinic, Seattle, WA
- 2000-2002: Practitioner, Northwest P&O Clinic, Seattle, WA
- 1995, Prosthetics/Orthotics Intern, Novacare, Inc., San Francisco, CA
- 1997, Prosthetics/Orthotics Intern, Stanford University Rehab., Palo Alto, CA
- 1998, Prosthetics/Orthotics Intern, Douglas P&O, Inc., Seattle, WA
- 1999. BS, Prosthetics/ Orthotics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 2000, Resident, Prosthetics/Orthotics, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- 2000, Resident, Prosthetics/Orthotics, Northwest P&O Clinic, Seattle, WA
- Garibaldi, MG, Myoelectric Intervention for the Interscapulothoracic Amputee. A seven step prosthetic treatment protocol. Journal of Proceedings, American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists, 2007.
- 2005, Otto Bock Occupational Therapy Training Course, Sacramento, CA
- 2006, Otto Bock Occupational Therapy Training Course, San Francisco, CA
- 2007, National Academy Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- 2007, Orthopedic Grand Rounds, University of California, San Francisco, CA
- 2007, Beth Israel Medical Center P.T. Group, New York, NY
- 2008, NYU Medical Center Physical Therapy, New York, NY
- 2009, San Dominguez Hills Prosthetics Dept., Dominguez Hills, CA
- 2010, Jewish Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- 2010, Long Beach VA (San Dominguez Hills P&O Dept.), Long Beach, CA
- 2010, Amputee Coalition of America, Riverside, CA
- 2010, 2nd Annual Care of the Amputee, SFGH, San Francisco, CA
Membership & Committees
- American Board for Certification
NEWS & EVENTS
We are pleased to announce the Bay Area Global Health...
Our Walnut Creek Sports Medicine Center is featured in this...
Dr. Anthony Luke takes us through our paces and shows...